How much do you charge?

I'm getting ready to babysit a family friends' 9 month old daughter. I've never babysat, at least not since I was 13. I'll have her for40-45 hours a week. Herparents will be providing her food, diapers, and wipes. Any suggestions?

EthansMomma129

Asked by EthansMomma129 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would charge a base fee per day. Like $5 a day or whatever
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 3:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• $20 - $25 a day
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 3:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I'd do no less than $25 a day.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• For younger children/babies you charge more because they need constant attention etc. You could call around to daycares in your area and find out how much they would charge (like you have a 9 month old that you want to place and your getting quotes, or finding out how much they would charge to have your baby :) )
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It depends where you live and what the rates are around you. I live within 30 minutes of a big city and people pay at least 10 / hour here (and up from there). You can get good ideas from sittercity.com and care.com. Care.com doesn't make up sign up to look at what people are chargeing. What have you discussed so far with the parents?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• $20-$25 dollars a day!!
    bcw4786

Answer by bcw4786 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• you can charge per hour or per day. when my son went(years ago) it was 25 per day for anything over 4 hours, and if we cancelled we still paid, but that was a day care. for a private sitter we paid the same amt 25 per day over 4 hours a day without the penatly for no showing.think about the things you do doing the day, as you will still need to do them, but haul a baby too. thats where the extra money comes in as she goes where you go so it takes more time to do things. you can also do a per week fee, and personally I would not ask for under 100 a week.ganna bump ya :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• 20-25$ a day seems fair :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If she was my friend, i would ask her how much she could afford to pay me. I would hate to throw out a number that she doesn't agree with. You guy sneed to discuss it together. Ask her how much she can afford & then work from there. Before making these kinds of commitments though, you need to do pricing first. Never agree to work for someone without talking about how much you are getting paid first.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• $150-$200 per week or higher depending on the area that you are in. -- Even $200 per week is only a little more than $4 per hour if you have the baby 45 hours a week.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010