Dwarfism... anyone know anything about it?

What are the symptoms or how do you know if it is even a possibility. I know of a little girl that is the 15th percentile in height and weight. She is very bow-legged. She just turned a year old. I'm just concerned because it looks like it is difficult for her to walk her legs are so bowed. Maybe its just her legs? Can they correct that somehow?

Lifes-A-Dance

Asked by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dwarfism are typically much smaller than the 15th percentile. But height alone doesn't classify one as a dwarf. My daughter is in the less than 3rd percentile for height, but she is not a dwarf (we've seen geneticists, so we would know). You are probably thinking of Achondroplasia, the most common type of dwarfism, but it's not just bowed legs. They have arms and legs that are disproportionately short compared to the length of their torso. They have a larger than normal head and distinctive facial features. My friend has a 2 year old son who is achondroplasian dwarf and he still wears 6-12 month clothing (he's almost 3).
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 5:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• A lot of kids that age are bow legged and my son is in the 5th percentile. If you are concerned, talk to your pedi but most likely if your child had dwarfism, they would know by now.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 3:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• talk to a gentist specailst
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 3:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Some forms of dwarfism have bowed legs as a symptom. Nothing you can do about it. Some kids just have bowed legs, and can possibly be helped. My son is 14years and not in the 15th percentile for height, but, not a dwarf. My mom is 4'10" and not a dwarf, her sister is 4'9" and another is 4"11".....just a family trait.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Breastfeeding as long as possible, at least 2 years, is even more important if a child may have a medical, genetic or developmental problem. Sometimes it's the best thing a mom can do.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010