Heprin during pregnancy?

I have started Heprin 3 days ago. I do it 2x a day. My stomach is already black and blue! Just from one shot I get the hugest bruise.
Have you done this? Any advice? Does it get any better?
Thanks!

MommyAmbie

Asked by MommyAmbie at 3:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm sorry you're going through this. I was on Heparin with my youngest, and although it gets easier to do the shots, it doesn't really get much better. The bruises are huge and last probably two weeks. At any point in time, I had at least 20 nasty bruises all over me. You can't inject into stretch marks, you can't inject into previous sites until they heal, and you can't inject into your stomach as it gets too big. At some point you have to start getting creative about how and where you inject yourself. I learned to do the backs of my upper arms by myself. You sort of lean sideways on the back of a chair and try that. I could get 4 or 5 in the back of each arm, which gave my hips a chance to heal. Toward the end, I had my husband injecting places I couldn't reach, like the top of my butt. That sucked because when you do it yourself, you know to back off when it starts burning too badly.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• What kind of needles are you using? I got some very fine insulin needles and ordered in more concentrated Heparin, so I only had to inject 0.5 mL at a time. Otherwise it would have been triple that. Also I will warn you that sometimes the injection sites will turn into a bad lump that will last a really long time. One of the last shots I gave myself left a lump that didn't go away until my baby was probably 5 months old, and I have no idea why. They didn't do that often, but it did happen sometimes. For me, just looking ahead at months of shots was depressing, so I made charts where I crossed off shots and had a tally of how many I'd gotten through and how many days I had left. When I got bummed out, I was able to say "But I've already done 140 shots. I've already come this far." That helped. If you want to talk, message me. Good luck.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Oh my gosh! You poor thing! Wow... im crying over 3 days of shots, and you did that your whole pregnancy. Im not sure at this point how long I will do this for. And actually im alittle upset now because my Dr office didnt really give me any info on how to do these since im already a medical assitant. And the pharmacy only had 25 g 2in needles. I went to walmart today and got 23g1 which was alittle better but its all they had. Someone told me to try icing it 5-10 minutes before the shot and it will help with bruising and also count to 10 before removing the needle. I will try anything if it will help. Im a big girl with a pretty big belly as it is and the seatbelt, rubbing against the counter, bending down to pick up a toy has been hell. I am rotating sides and maybe about 2 inches away from the previous site. Im scared to try my arms or thighs. I guess that will be later one.
    Thank you so much for the help! I appreciate it.
    MommyAmbie

Comment by MommyAmbie (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I tried the ice and it didn't really help. I think I had 30 g short needles. They were teeny. The Heparin still burned like hell, but the needles were small. I never could do the shots in my belly. During most of the pregnancy, the skin was stretched so tight, I couldn't pinch at all. When I went back on the Heparin after I delivered, I found that even the post-baby flabby skin actually hurt more for me than the hips. The top of the butt was probably the least painful.

BTW as much as it sucks now, it's worth it. My Heparin baby turned 5 yesterday. He's healthy and perfect, and we're very close. Looking back 5 years later, I'm still very proud of everything I did for him.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010