Newly crawling having difficulty falling asleep independently

Jake just is getting good at rolling onto his belly, sitting up, and crawling. Now, he rolls onto his belly or sits up soon after or a bit after I put him down for his nap (previously a peaceful experience after putting him down for his nap). Once he's in that position for a bit, and realizes he's tired but can't get back to his belly, he cries hard until I put him on his back again. Usually, but not always, he falls asleep after I rock him a bit and put him back in his crib almost asleep. I'm not afraid of the "cry-it-out method" but I go to him as soon as I discern the "Mommy I'm stuck" cry. Will he just magically realize one of these times on his own how to get on his back or sleep on his belly? Am I hindering that lesson by helping him every time or helping him through a rough patch? Thoughts?

JRB101009

Asked by JRB101009 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's a tough one. I know this might sound strange, but have you tried almost "pushing" him over? Not actually pushing him over but guiding him down so that he feels the motion and realizes that no he isn't going to get hurt to lay down himself? I sure hope that doesn't sound as bad as I'm afraid for it to sound.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 3:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• it depends. I had the same problem with my LO. I just used a pack and play or the floor during the day and helped him learn how to get out of the stuck position.
    mommyof20507

Answer by mommyof20507 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I always went in and would lay my kids back down when they were in their crib. When they were awake and playing I practiced with them getting into/out of a seated position, rolling around, eventually sitting down from standing, etc. It's a skill he will eventually master, it just takes time!

Answer by missanc at 3:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• He is asking for your help is he not with that special cry? You aren't hindering, you are responding to his cue for aide.

Adults forget just how much strength, balance, and a number of complex sets of movements is required to roll. It takes time.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010