Impatients... all shriveled and wilted

I have these impatients that looked wonderful before we left on vacation. They were full, blooming, healthy and blooming. When I returned they were totally wilted and dieing. The soil was pretty wet and we'd had a good rain storm while we were gone. Would they wilt like that from the rain? How do I save them? I've clipped all the dead foliage and stems off of the plant. They look terrible. Help!

Lifes-A-Dance

Asked by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Regular Impatiens need shade and tons of water. New Guinea Impatiens can withstand some sun Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Do they need water now? That's how mine get when they are thirsty!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• they probably got dried out while you were gone, and haven't recovered. impatiens need watering everyday, especially if they are in full sun, or if in part-sun/part-shade and its hot outside. they are delicate and don't like being dried out. you can clip off the 'melted' stems..and it will look like you're clipping the entire plant..but if you water them daily, they will probably come back, and grow again. if you have them in pots or planters, move them out of direct sunlight until this passes. good luck!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Maybe get some Miracle grow. Hopefully you can get them back.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• no, they seem to be wet. I put them out in the open in the shade. I wish I would have been home to see what happened to them :0(
    Lifes-A-Dance

Comment by Lifes-A-Dance (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Thank God for Miracle Grow :0)
    Lifes-A-Dance

Comment by Lifes-A-Dance (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I agree with PP ... they need plenty of shade and tons of water. I water mine daily or else they start to shrivel up.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2010