How can I get my contractions to start?

I am 40 weeks today and dialated to 3 cm. My dr told me yesterday if I could just get steady contractions I'd be having my baby... I've tried sex and walking any other suggestions? Not willing to try castor oil, that is too dangerous!

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• that's about all I did....lots of sex and lots of walks....
    with the sex, make sure you're getting the sperm inside, close to your cervix, and you're getting an orgasm--they can trigger contractions. when you're walking, go for inclines/stairs.
    other than that, relax some too, labor is hard work!!

good luck momma! hope baby comes sooon!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Spicy food and Wii bowling put me into labor. good luck
    ddmalott

Answer by ddmalott at 3:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• tell your doctor to induce you.i think its better to do that the safe way and with a doctor then the crazy weird stuff out there
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• there so many things u can try. like you said you tried sex and walking. u can try going for a bumpy car ride, having your hubby play with your nipples. i went thru the same thing as you. i was 40 weeks and dialated 3cm and i wouldn't go any further. my dr told me i could wait another week and see if anything happens or i could meet him at the hospital the next day and he would induce naturally. which means he would break my water to get contractions going.. maybe talk to your dr and ask about him/her breaking your water. my daughter is now 6 years old.
    tanper29

Answer by tanper29 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• BrittanyD07~ my doctor wont induce before 42 weeks.
    I'm not really interested in the weird things out there just something to naturally start some contractions...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Vacuum the house. I vacuumed at 37 weeks with my first and started labor.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Acupuncture. That's how I started my labor when they were threatening me with induction. If you can i suggest avoiding induction (it opens up a whole new set of risk facotrs).
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I remember lifting a heavy bag of groceries up two flights of stairs when I started going into labor with strong contractions. They say lifting somewhat heavy things during pregnancy is not advisable because it puts too much strain on the body.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I'm gonna make a spicey dinner tonight, but I was skeptical about that working, I just thought it would make my heartburn worse...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• FuzNet~ NEEDLES???? nooo way lol... I dont wanna be induced by the dr. I was with my last child and it was a very painful delivery, the reason they induced with him was b/c I was a week overdue and they found out his cord was wrapped and affecting his heart rate...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010