Do you think it is wrong to de-claw a cat if it is an inside cat only?

If you don't think it is wrong, then is it okay to do front only or all 4?

Our two cats are declawed in the front only, and they will never step outside again. Our 2nd cat was de-clawed when we got her, making us decide it would be best to de-claw cat #1.

AdoptingMyChild

Asked by AdoptingMyChild at 3:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Pets

• We declawed all 4 feet on our cat.. Our house is carpetted and his back claws kept getting stuck in the carpet and pulling and drawing blood. The vet recommend we remove all 4 so he'd stop hurting his feet. The recovery was awful because it hurt him to walk for a week, but he's now 12 years old and still an inside cat. 8 years after we had him declawed we had our first baby. I'm so glad he doesn't have claws now. Not only is our furniture safe, but so are our kids.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It's CRUEL and there is NO reason for it. Would you like someone to pull your fingernails out?

Yes, they DO need them even if they do not go outside. How do you think they scratch when they have an itch?

The ONLY reason to have a cat's claws removed is if they have been injured or have a deformity that is causing them pain.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If they never go outside, I don't see anything wrong with it. We've declawed our indoor cats before because they either had a problem with scratching people or they tore up the furniture. They really don't need the claws if they're indoor all the time.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Its mean. Its like cutting your nails out from the quick. Besides, I've had plenty of "inside" cats who like to dart outside and if they get lose, they have no form of defense.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Very very cruel. I would encourage you too look into it. I have never ever in my life had to declaw a cat. You can train them not to claw on things without mutilation..
    http://www.catsinternational.org/articles/scratching_and_declawing/Truth_about_Declawing.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Cruelty-of-Declawing-Cats&id=4418754

http://www.thecatzine.com/2008/12/the-cruelty-of-claw-removal-declaw/

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• That's like cutting off a limb. sorry, unless the cat had issues with it's claws, I wouldn't.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't de-claw any cat; I think it's cruel. Both of my cats are indoor-only cats (ages 15 and 6), and I have never considered de-clawing them.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It's a part of survival....try scratching yourself with nothing there to scratch with. If the cat ever got out, it can't defend itself and it would probably die.
    De clawing a cat is basically to save your furnature, curtains and carpet......why have a cat if it's such a bother?
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't see a problem with it if they don't go outside.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 3:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with doing it. My DH old cat was declawed. I have a cat she isn't though I thought about doing it, but didn't because she doesn't really claw anything
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010