How do I make my 3 yr. old son stop WHINING??

My 3 year old, every time he doesn't get what he wants makes what I call "The Horrible Noise". He tenses up, arches his back and makes a combination school bus brakes/ garbage disposal noise. I can't take it anymore! I need for this NOT to be his 'I am mad ' default. Can anyone help?? I haven't had this problem with my 5 yr. old or 2 yr. old.

coolestmom770

Asked by coolestmom770 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• punish him for it just like you would anything else. or just ignore it. tell him you will only listen when he wants to be a big boy.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Ignore the whinning and he will realize its not gonna get him his way...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Sorry, but I laughed really hard at your description of "the horrible noise" LOL...
    when my 3 y/o dd starts in, I leave the room and tell her i'm not going to listen to it. Seriously, if there's no one to whine to they'll quit whining. When she's done I usually go to her/she comes to me and we talk about what was the matter and it's not ok to whine...
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My daughter did that for quite some time. I really had a hard time getting her to stop. And she would do it more when she was tired. I kept telling her that she needed to talk if something was bothering her instead of whining about. I really couldn't undertand what she was saying anyway when she whined. If she was sick and did it, I looked the other way since that to me was a valid reason.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I simply tell my children who are 5 and 3 that I don't understand whining and when they want to talk calmly they n come find me and I walk away and do what I was doing. Even when tired or sick I would ignore them because that is not an excuse to at rudely in my book. The 3 year old occasionally still whines, but I can't remember the last time my year old did. You hae to be consistent with the ignoring though or it won't work. The first time I tried this with my 5 year old (then 2.5 year old) he literally whined and screamed at me for 45 minutes, but I did not give in and he eventually stopped. You also do not keep talking to them simply state you can't hear or don't understanding whining and DO NOT say another word until they ask calmly.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I tell my 3 yr old I can't understand whining, only when he talks like a big boy. I then ignore the rest. You might also notice what triggers the whining and try to head it off. I know my son will get whiny when he's tired so lots of whining leads to earlier bedtimes (but I don't tell him that!). When it gets on your nerves, either go to another room yourself (leaving him someplace safe, of course) or put him someplace else. Give both of you a breather..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My 2 yr old does this now and before I flip out on her and she realizes Im insane, I look her firmly in the face and say stop it, I said you cant have _____ because ____, if you. You CAN have _____ but you are gonna stop yelling. If you dont want it, them Im sorry, but if you keep screaming you are going to your room until you calm down. She normally ends up in her room, but by the time I get to that door she is calming down.
    That ignore thing dont work for me. I need you to be quiet like now, that screaming is not acceptable. My daughter I mean she opens her mouth wide and just yell. It pisses me off to no end.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i have a 3 and a half year old who does the same thiing. i tell him that i will not talk to him until he stops (i do this when he pouts too). when he stops, i praise him and tell him to tell me what he wants like a big boy. if the whining goes longer than 5min. i put him in time out until he stops, then praise etc...
    TomsMom

Answer by TomsMom at 6:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Like others said, I walk away from my daughter when she starts up with the whining. Or if she is whining when she talks, I tell her I can't understand her when she talks like that and she needs to talk like a big girl, or that I can only understand happy girls. She will usually flash a smile and ask me the same thing in a much better tone of voice.

lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 11:00 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Good question. My son has just started this when I tell him no but I dont have the tolerance to ignore it. I am hugely pregnant and my hormones are already so screwed up to the point that I wonder if I will ever return to normal. I have no patience anymore and he is just getting bad. I am going to have to tighten up on him I guess.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2010