Do you grow your own herbs and spices?

There is such a big difference between buying dried herbs and spices and growing fresh. You actually can taste the difference in the food. You can even take a shortcut because I was getting some plants for my Mom for mothers day and the garden centers are carrying loads of organic plants now. The prices were incredibly decent too.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We have a huge herb garden that is outside in the summer and inside in the winter so we have afresh all the time. I do however make my own dried herbs for friends and family from our garden and they say even the dried I give them compared to what they get in the stores is a huge difference. I love the fresh herbs and you have to use much less for the same amount of flavor.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i have only basil this year!
    i wish i had cilantro too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I grow my own green onions. Their quite easy to grow, most of the work is just them growing. Whenever I need to use any I go in the backyard and cut some.
    I just used the left over bulbs from the supermarket to start mine off.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 4:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My husband decided he was going to spray my MINT with pesticides.....there went that! He said he didn't know what it was.....he also managed to take out my sunflowers too.... :/
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have Basil. I don't have a green thumb, one plant at a time (in my kitchen) is about all I can keep alive. I buy fresh herbs at the grocery store, or use Penzey's spices.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• nope I don't grow any of my own
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Basil for me too. I also planted Anise for the first time. We'll see how it does. I actually planted it because my MIL had it one year and she went on vacation for 2 weeks. I had to water her tomatoes and some other things. She had planted Anise seeds and they grew beautifully. I walked over to water it and it was covered with over 100 Monarch Butterfly Caterpillars. I knew she would spray them with insecticide if she saw them so I gently removed each one and put them on the other side of her yard. I never said anything but I bet she had tons of butterflies that year. So I hope they find my plant too :)

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• no, i wish i could but every plant i have dies.lol. so i just stick to store brands
    usmcwifee

Answer by usmcwifee at 5:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Basil, cilantro, mint, thyme, sage, dilll, rosemary. I plant and use it all.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have basil, cilantro, chives, rosemary, parsley and anise going this year. They do taste way better than storebought.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 6:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010