Why hasn't Obama sent FEMA to the gulf?

http://townhall.com/columnists/RichGalen/2010/06/21/wheres_fema

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/06/29/dem-rep-blasts-obama-gulf-response-as-incompetent/

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 4:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Let's all pretend that Mr. Obama isn't slooooooooooooowwwwww as molassas, 'kay?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• How do you access damage??
    And to once again, answer your question, FEMA IS ON THE GULF COAST! THEY HAVE ATLEAST 2 OFFICES IN MISSISSIPPI...One in Gulfport, one in Biloxi. Probably a few in N.O. and I think one in Mobile, Al. What should they be doing?? FEMA basically determines how much damage your home has received from a NATURAL disaster, they then either place you in a Fema camper, and cut you a check or tell you that you dont qualify for assistance. The End.
    And above where it says that part of their jurisdiction has to do with HAZARDOUS SPILLS...that would apply if there was a chemical spill ONLAND that was destroying homes,or extremely toxic. They would then evacuate people. There is no need for that down here. Therefore, No need for FEMA.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• hmmm; good question not sure I really know...I think maybe because it's BP's negligence and not a "natural disaster"?

Though I'm still trying to figure out why no one in the industry has improved their response protocols in the past 31 years too...sooo
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Well, for one, FEMA is already down here...they are still here for Katrina...and for 2 -What would they do? No one has lost their house (like, no homes are being destroyed) Nobody is out of food or water...and there really isnt any damage to assess...that is what FEMA does..both my MIL and FIL work for FEMA and are both being deployed to other areas with damage and loss of life..such as Yazoo,Ms and Nashville,TN
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• FEMA has nothing to do with the oil spill.... what would you like them to do? Assign FEMA beaches?? I said FEMA goes to disasters to assess the damage....not ASSES... *Assess* means to determine how much damage has been caused.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• That is not under their jurisdiction. They are there to help with people who have lost houses, family members, stuff like that. Check it out.
    http://www.fema.gov/
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Indeed this is a disaster but until the land affected by oil is deemed uninhabitable FEMA won't get involved. Time to move on and stop addressing blame on Obama when the need for FEMA is not even necessary yet.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 10:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• from your site stacy
    ______________
    Well, there ya go, I guess if you want to interpret that to mean an oil spill miles away. But what is it they are supposed to do? The hazardous spills and such they are talking about would be for when people's lives are in immediate danger. Are you really trying to say there is something they are needed for? They do not have clean-up tools. People aren't living on the street with no water. What is your vision for their role? Because they do not have much of a role here.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• heading the coordination of asset requests and many other duties
    _________________________________
    Asset requests, huh. I guess I don't see that they need more than the military, cost guard, and other federal agencies down there. So what other duties? And I DID look it up, and found nothing that fits their mission that could be done currently. Maybe once oil is washing up and polluting ground water and otherwise endangering people.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Oh, and to answer the actual question -

He hasn't sent them because they aren't needed. That's been pointed out mulitple times in this thread, whether you want to listen or not.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:01 AM on Jul. 1, 2010