I'm curious what age all of your child(ren) started to pick up after themselves?

My DD is two and all of my family seems to think I am strict with her because I make her pick up after herself... I have always thought it was a good idea to teach her early on, but now I'm curious if two is too young, or if it is normal? Its fun for her, we sign the "Pick up, pick up everybody pick up" song and I help her, but when she is done with her toys and I tell her to pick them up and put them away she does it!

Anyhow.. what age do you think its ok??

FatGirl239

Asked by FatGirl239 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our son started learning to pick up after himself at 18 months. We did lots of "helping" but as he's gotten older, we give him more responsibility to cleaning up. Some toys are out of his reach (lots of pieces) and he can only have them when he cleaned up his previous toys. Others are in bins he can reach but he still has to cleanup when things get too messy. We sometimes make a game/song out of it but other times he just does it himself. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner, the better.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My daughter is 3 and she has been raised to pick up after herself. Strict? To teach respect of property and cleanliness? NOOOO!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 5:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I do that too! I sing as i'm helping them pick up, and they do it...my twin boys are 18 months and they've started to catch on, but i've been doing it with my DD since she was around their age as well....and she does it as well.
    I think when they understand the concept they should be taught to pick up after themselves....
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i started as soon as they started being mobile enough to spread the mess everywhere. lol. actually, it was more like 18 months or so. they love helping to clean up, and i can sometimes even hear them, while they're in the playroom, singing the clean up song... then they'll run out to me and proudly announce that they cleaned. of course, it's not really that clean, but the fact that they try is good enough for me.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 5:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If she enjoys doing it and doesn't mind then what is the problem? My son picks up after himself but just as easily undoes it!!! lol
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My kids are 4 and 7 and still won't pick up after themselves. I have to tell them specifically what to pick up. I wish I ha started earlier because my kids are lazy about that now. So no two is not too young to teach her.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Go for teaching her now! My husband is 26 and he still can't figure out the concept :)
    LeiLana80

Answer by LeiLana80 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• my daughter insists on having certain things put away before she can move on to other things but she's not consistent. she's 2. i just started enforcing consistency so that she picks up all her toys, and puts all her clothes in the hamper before she goes to bed. she rather enjoys it, i'm pretty sure she's got a touch of anal retentiveness in her.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 5:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I've always made him clean up even if he really doesnt want to..if he doesnt clean up, I put his toys in the garage for a while.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 5:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• when she started walking.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010