How did you deal with your LO's Terrible Two's...?

My DS has started this wonderful phase by dropping on the floor and screaming/whining whenever he gets told "No" or "Stop"
He's also started whining to voice his frustration and wants. There's no more, "Drink?" when he wants his cup refilled. It's just CONSTANT whining/whimpering until it's done.

I go between ignoring his whining/tantrums, to asking him what he wants, but then it results in him screaming like a banshee. I'm literally ready to ram myself into a wall.

Advice?

ManicMomma02

Asked by ManicMomma02 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I send my LO to her room for tantrums and she can't come out until she has been calm for 1 min. I ask her to "show" me what she wants. They can't vocalize their wants and needs. If he can't tell you or show you then you need to ignore it. I promise there is light at the end of the tunnel but it comes with defiance. They leave the terrible two's and move onto the defiant three's.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• When my ss was that age we would bring him into his room and put him in his crib whenever he started screaming about anything. We also would completely ignore him when he was whining and respond right away whenever he said/requested something in a normal tone of voice. That helped reinforce normal, polite speech and put an end to the whining. It took about 2 weeks of being very consistent with this for it to work.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I hate to break this to you but it's not the terrible 2's. It's the terrible 2's 3's 4's...so on. It NEVER gets better it just gets DIFFERENT. This to shall pass. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• NO. Don't tell me it lasts for YEARS. D:
    I'll be bald then...
    ManicMomma02

Comment by ManicMomma02 (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010