Have any of you felt like you were done having kids but were meant to have 1 more?

I'm a Christian, but not Catholic, so birth control is not against my religion. We have 3 kids under 4 years old. When our 3rd was 2 weeks old we excitedly discussed having a 4th. Then the stress of 3 little ones kicked in and hubby and I decided he'd get a vasectomy, which he hasn't done. While I don't want to be pregnant again or go through yet another c-section, I feel like we're supposed to have another son. Not that I want another son, but like we are meant to have one. Have any of you gone through this? Did any of you think you were done having kids but felt like the Lord had other plans? What did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I figure if the powers that be think you're 'meant' to have another child, then you'll end up with one.
    We have three. Our third one was a surprise. Dh felt 'done' with two... I didn't. For a variety of reasons, I think three is a good number for us and more would comlicate things unnecessarily (we have a cottage that we travel back and forth to, for instance- packing would get increasingly difficult/impossible if we added another carseat to the mix.) However, I still sometimes feel the urge to have another baby... last night I had a dream that I was pregnant and I woke up sad that it was a dream. My advice would be to wait if you feel you're meant to have another one... you may definitely be on board if you wait for the ones you have to be a little older, or you might find that 'meant to be' feeling fades away.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Oh HELL NO!  Stick a fork in me, I'm done! 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes, sort of. After my dd was born, (my second) I said WE ARE DONE!!! Said it a lot actually :)

But for some reason I always thought about that third. My head said "your crazy" my heart said "please" lol.

I finally threw caution to the wind and I am now pregnant with my third :O I THINK our family will be done. :) Unless I change my mind! Which I reserve the right to do at any time!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Actually... I thought I was done after our 3rd baby, my husband had made an appt to get a vasectomy and we weren't going to have anymore... When the time came for the vasectomy we said well what if we want another baby?? So we decided not to get it done b/c we had doubts... Then a few years later we decided yeah we are really done, well..... right b4 my husband rescheduled the appt. I told him I thought I wanted to have just 1 more. A couple of weeks later I found out I am pregnant with baby number 4... He is due today. So God meant for this baby to be here for some reason! God has plans for this little fella.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Two was enough for me physically but mentally, I kept picturing myself having three kids. So yeah that inkling was there. Its a battle between your brain and heart lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Nope

I have control over my own body.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Actually NO. When I had my first I was done.. then came the second and third.. So I being a Catholic spoke to the Bishop about having my tubes tied. Reason given.. I had 3 C-Sections, last one was risky.. He said I had every right.. SO I did. And to be honest, I've never regreted that decision, nor I want more children.
    LoveRed71

Answer by LoveRed71 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I feel like I was supposed to have one less.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• In a way...DH and I discussed having more children while I was pregnant with #3. I wanted another one, but didn't feel like it was fair to our other children b/c they're so close in age we're already gonna struggle when it comes time to help them buy vehicles and put them through college. We afford everything fine now, but in about 12 years it's gonna be difficult. (Our oldest just turned 4.) So anyways, I had my tubes tied after having our 3rd, and immediately regretted it. She'll be a year old tomorrow and I still regret having the procedure.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I'd love to have another but it's not in the cards for us. I had three kids under two, twins and a younger sibling, I had a great time while they were really young. I would love another but it's not happening.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010