how do I become a homeschool teacher when I have only substitute experience? I have already bought curriculum, but really don't get what/how to proceed.

My son is almost 12, and was soooo bored at school that he would do nothing in class. He still made good grades, but maddened the teachers and principle because he would sit and do no classwork.
Now, I have to do it.........and travel all over the country with my husband. Help, please.

Asked by susanjones106 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• YAY! Another homeschooler :)

Well, first you need to figure out what your place of residency is. The laws differ from state to state for homeschooling. In most states you don't need experience to teach your own children. That's absurd anyways. Google your states homeschooling laws. Visit They have overviews of each states laws. If you have any other questions I'd be glad to help you or point you in the direction of someone that could =)

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• How to Become a Home School Teacher: The Evolution of Parents to ...
    Have you ever wished to become a teacher? Have you ever wanted to educate children with the right skills and concepts in order to survive life’s challenges?

Answer by vbruno at 10:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I homeschooled both of mine. I had to go to the county school board in my city. or I have friends that use Abecca. You pay a monthly price or 1 full price and they send you cd's that take the kids step by step. It's a wonderful program. They work at their own pace.

Answer by strozilove at 10:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• We used a curriculum that had a "Teachers guide". Try and find out if yours has a teacher's guide you can order? I loved home schooling!!! There are lots of books out there too. You'll be just fine! Its really a lot easier than you think. Learning is natural. He'll do great. ALSO, don't underestimate the value of experiences. Travel is a WONDERFUL education tool! Go to museums, and historical sights where ever you travel. THAT is history class. Have them help you cook, and measure... there is home-ech and math... learning is eveywhere. Make it fun! :)

Answer by Keriokeeee at 7:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Call the local School Board. They will tell you exactly what to do and their rules to allow your child(ren) to get the credit for homeschooling. I did it with my grandson and we both loved it! congratulations for making a wise decision.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Join a charter school. I have joined Connections Academy. I think that home schooling is great. I do it and travel with my son and husband and daughter for vacations. Even olympians use Connections Academy. If you need any additional help email me.

Answer by OctoberOrganics at 10:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2008