How can I get rid of all these tiny flies by my sink?

I cleaned all the dishes.
All food is covered, even the fruit.
Counters have been wiped clean and bleached.

I ignored dishes for a few days and these flies showed up, so I cleaned EVERYTHING, so there is nothing to keep them here or lure more, but they won't go away. We're killing them one by one as we catch them, but they're fast little buggers.

Any ideas? Please help. Thanks.

Pnukey

Asked by Pnukey at 5:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Could there be a smell coming from your drain or garbage disposal that you don't notice. Maybe try pouring some bleach or an unclogging product down your drain? Or maybe try putting the fruit in the fridge, even if it's covered they can probably still smell it. If they're fruit flies they will take a while to go away. They tend to linger even if you've removed what's attracting them.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 5:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• They could be coming up from inside your sink drain! Try pouring a bit of bleach in your drain before bed tonight and let it sit. Its worth a try anyway.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Do you have any leaks under your sink?
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 5:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Put some apple cider vinegar in a shallow dish and add a drop or two of dishwashing liquid like Dawn. Set it near the sink.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Sounds like gnats. Pour some bleach down your drain, don't run the water right away. That should take care of it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I agree with KelleyP77, the apple cider vinegar works every time!
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Oh,Man,I had them last year(spring/summer) and this summer. I noticed that they came in a bunch of bananas that I bought this spring. They stayed till the first freeze last year. I would love to find an effective way to get rid of em too!!!!
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 5:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I do that sometimes with the dishes sometimes you just run out of time and do them the next day but those gnats do come around not sure where they come from but as good as we clean our sinks they are some how inside the drain my guess I just pour dish soap or bleach down the drain especially in the garbage disposal and waalah! They're gone I mean this is what I do oh and let ur disposal run a few seconds and that will do the job if not put your bananas or potatoes in a paper bag that could bring them out too. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2010