This child of mine is just not gaining any weight :(

She had an appointment for the dr today. She weighed in at 20 pounds 1 ounce....last appointment a month ago she weighed 20.5
She's 31.5 inches tall.
I give her 3 meals a day plus snacks in between.
She's not too picky of an eater, she'll try most things I put in front of her but its like she's just too "busy" to eat. She'll take a few bites..maybe one bite of each thing I give her and then she's done,she doesnt want anymore.I can't force her to eat.
The dr said she should be at about 24 pounds for her height, which isnt' too big of a difference, I guess.
Otherwise, she's very healthy.
When my son was little, he was the opposite, he ate everythign in sight and was a lil chubbers,lol. So this skinny stuff is new to me,lol. I'm used to chuncky butt babies,lol.
Do you have a child that just doesnt want to seem to gain weight? What do you do?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 5:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is she walking abnd running now??

this is the age where they dont really gain much weight because they are running around and burning those calories lol
    my dd is 16 months and shes weighed 20 lbs for like 6 months.... her dr isnt worried. and i wouldnt worry unless ur childs pedi is concerned either.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• LOL..my 14y/o that weighs 85lbs. He is in the 5th percentile for weight.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Is your child really active? My son used to be super fat when he was around 10 months old but as soon as he started crawling and walking it flew off. He is fairly slim now but I am not surprised because all he does all day is run about like a mad man. Sooo much energy!
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My 7 YO was always skinny. Now she weighs 47 lbs and is 49" tall. My 6 YO weighs 43 and is 45" tall. Don't worry. It is ok to be a little bit under normal as long as they gain some weight.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My son is like this too. It's genes!...from his dad. I consider him lucky.
    As long as she's eating nutritiously throughout the day, I would not worry.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 5:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My son is like that too.
    He's very small/slim for his age. He's 31inches tall, and 23 pounds, and he's 2 years old.
    He eats and eats, but burns it off so fast. It's crazy.

My daughter is a chunky baby though. lol. She's 4 months, 13.4 pounds and 21.5 inches long.

I get where you're coming from. Some kids have crazy fast metabolism and others grow up in spurts. My son is like that. He was in 12 month clothes for almost 9 months, then he had a growth spurt all of a sudden and was in 18/24 month clothes.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Okay--my 2 yo went in for her check up today. She weighed in at 22 pounds and 31/1/2 inches. My Dr. is not concerned at all because she is gaining on her curve. Just because they don't follow the growth chart doesn't mean that they aren't growing. If you aren't really concerned and your child seems healthy and happy I wouldn't worry about it. We looked at what the average child looks like at her weight and height. An average 12 mo old weights 22 lbs and an average 18 mo old is 31 1/2 in tall. Don't stress about it, just let your child grow at their pace.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My son was like this, he has just recently started picking up and eating better. He is three years old and weighs 40 pounds, he's 3 ft 3 in tall. I was always concerned about him not gaining weight but his dr said as long as he is healthy he will eat when he gets hungry or we could try the pediasure drinks. We did the drinks for a few days but they messed his stomach up so bad we had to quit letting him drink them. As long as she is healthy and her dr is not worried I say just let her be, when she hits a growth spur she will pick up eating.
    dylansmom08

Answer by dylansmom08 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yea, DS is tiny too. Some kids are just thin. My husband eats and eats and eats and cant gain weight to save his life. If it's okay for grown ups to come in all shapes and sizes, why isnt it okay for kids?
    You can try higher calorie foods. Avacado, cream cheese, adding olive oil to foods. It might help.
    I really wouldnt worry too much abou it though.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Unless your doctor specifically told you it was a problem and what to do, I wouldn't worry about. If your doctor is concerned, ask him/her for advice/guidance.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010