Do you find yourself understanding your mother more, now that you're a mother of your own?

I would say that I definitely do. I've ALWAYS been a Daddy's girl, but now, I'm 50/50 after having LO's
I understand all her misconstrued well-intentioned discipline/advice. I understand what she means when she says, "Someday, when you have kids of your own, you'll understand." Like when she says, "You can be 50 years old, but you'll always be my little girl who had the ability to fall over while standing perfectly still... and I'll still tell you to look both ways before you cross the street."
I understand her heartache when she saw I was taking wrong turns in life, and would do her best to give me advice but also step back and watch to help me grow. And how hard it was for her to do that. I hate seeing my babies struggle, and I want to do it for them, but I know they'll never learn.
:[
I miss my Mommy.
Most of all. I realize what a crummy and bratty teenager I was, and I'll always be sorry. Mehh. I'm gonna go call her now.

ManicMomma02

Asked by ManicMomma02 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• To tell the truth I always really admired and appreciated my mother, but now that I'm one even more so. Now I really understand what a little pain in the butt I could be both as a small child and a teenager. I also realize that you never stop being a mother. She's still there for me 100% and never stops worrying about me. I think that's the biggest thing I understand now, the worry that just never goes away. And my son's only 2! I have a long road ahead of me, I guess. LOL.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 5:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• yes and no.
    but i do miss my mom something fierce. RIP Nancy Shedd 3/28/1964-4/14/2009
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• What have you learned? Regrets?
    Do anything differently from your mom? Etc, etc.
    ManicMomma02

Comment by ManicMomma02 (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes.. There are situations where I stop and think "OMG, my poor mom" And I have apologized to her several times for causing her so much pain and greif at times.
    LoveRed71

Answer by LoveRed71 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Understanding her more? no...My mother is too crazy to quite understand,lol. I love her...just don't "get" her and some of her choices in life but...it is her life and I respect her for living it...but that doesnt make me understand her,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• no. My mom is an alcoholic and I had a terrible childhood. I take care of her now, but I can't understand her.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• absolutely. i also find myself acting a lot like her. my parenting style is a lot the same. and i say a lot of the same things she said to me when i was young. and i even look more and more like her as i get older. but i think that's all ok. i still try to be a better parent.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Motherhood alone has not made me more understanding of my mother. But age has as well.

I'm to an age now, that I can remember when my Grandmother was this age (even though I was little..lol).. So, I can honestly say, that age has played a part in my growing more understanding of my mother as well.

One of the hardest things to accept during my 18yrs of motherhood has been, deciphering that fine line (in so many different circumstances/areas) of when to step in and when to let my son figure / deal with things on his own. That line various depending on the situation.

Also. I think another one of the hardest things to accept for me, as my son has grown up is that I can teach him, instill whatever views/beliefs/world view .ect. into my son. Ultimately though, he is his own person, He's going to develop his own thoughts and views. Regardless of whether I agree with them or not. And that I have to let go and let him
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I didn't grow up with my mom, I lived with her for about 4 years as a teenager before becoming a runaway at age 15. Now that I am a mother, I have RESPECT for her, because raising teenagers is hard, I have my mom hell, I know I did. As far as being a mother, I don't feel that I really learned anything from her since she didn't really have a chance to be a mother to me, I guess I learned everything I didn't want to be to my kids. I respect and love my mom for being my mom now that I am older though.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I love my mom bunches but I think we are still very different especially with parenting..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010