how would you feel if a family member said something like this to you?

"I think if your husband wants another child he should learn how to be patient with the one you have"

i just bit my tounge..my son was 2 when i met my dh and i think he is a good dad, sometimes he may be impatient but arent we all?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would feel that the family member had low self-esteem and felt that they needed to say something like this to establish that they were an authority of sorts.- in their own mind anyway.

Answer by Bmat at 5:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• You say " I have no idea what you're talking about. He's a great father" or just let it roll right off your shoulders.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would say, "well, I think that YOU need to keep your mouth shut when regarding MY husband", lol. Sorry, I have a low tolerance for things like that. Then again, my husband would be totally undeserving of a comment like that. I have a hard time letting anyone say anything bad about those I love. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would tell that family member, that the decision to have children or not concerns only you and your husband and if they have issues with it they are welcome to stay out of your life but thats just me. I dont do well with family members butting into our lives.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would have asked why they feel that way...I am always interested about how people come to these conclusions about people they don't know much about.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I'd probably be really immature and say, "Yeah, because I totally think your husband is patient and has never lost his patience with their child, so you should have a MILLION kids..."
    Then I'd tell them that it's not them having children, but you and your DH.

Or like keyaziz said, I would probably ask them why they think that. Depends on the family member too, if they're always putting people down like that, or if they're honest and well intentioned.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• ARG!! What a PIA! She needs to keep her 2 cents to herself.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 5:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It depends on which family member. If it was someone older and wiser than me, I'd consider the reasons it was said.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would say that I don't think they are accurate in their thoughts.

A family member told me once after handing my SO a in-n-out gift card for his bday "we all know he loves eating" I was pissed but didn't say a word. But the funny thing is she's a big girl lol.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 7:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• if that's the worst thing someone says about you, i think you're doing alright. sounds like they're just nit-picking.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2010