What do you pack a toddler for lunch?

Any Part time or full time working Moms out there who send their 1-2 yr olds to daycare have any good lunch ideas? My poor DD has been eating canned pasta for months. I got some lunch meat to put into rolls for her and she loves all kinds of fruit but anything else? I think she gets too much salt. Please help! thanks - Rachel

NHRachel

Asked by NHRachel at 5:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• When DS was little we started doing meals where he got to pick what was in them. 5 or 6 things, has to be at least 3 fruits or veggies, and then one each of some kind of bread/starch, a protein and a dairy. I didn't explain it to him like that, but I'd give him all the different choices for each group - say peanut butter, turkey or leftover pork roast. Next crackers, tortilla, or bread. String cheese, sliced cheese or yogurt. Then I'd have a group of finger food type cold fruits and veggies he had to pick 3 from. It's basically like making a healthy lunchable and he got to choose each ingredient. Most of the time it was just different types of leftovers, and if you keep just a set number of things on hand to fill in there are hundreds of combinations they can come up with.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• pb&j, carrot sticks and a cup of yogurt
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• *PB and J sandwhich
    *IF they allow you to send things in to warm up in the microwave, you can send left overs from dinner the night before
    *Cut up cold pizza
    *Crackers and cheese slices
    *raisins
    *cut up fruits
    *cottage cheese
    *Cheese sticks
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Well, I don't pack his lunch, but usually I do turkey breast sandwiches or cubed so he can eat. Or chicken breasts, lean meats, etc, etc.
    He loves fruits and veggies too, so always something like that. Strawberries, kiwis, sugar snap peas, carrots.

If you think she gets too much salt, try and eliminate processed meats and canned stuff - they always have sodium snuck in there. You can try filling stuff. Like whole grain breads, whole grain crackers and string cheese.

My son alternates between juice or milk for lunch/dinner, and water in between meals.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• BTW, it is a lovely lady who has recently closed her facility and now does this in-home. SHe would make her anything I send and always has plenty of juice and milk for the kids.
    NHRachel

Comment by NHRachel (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My kids love carrots. When they were one I would shred them so they wouldn't choke. :)
    Dorothy24

Answer by Dorothy24 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have a huge list of bagged lunch ideas; send me a message if you would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010