Do you have any advice for dealing with teenagers with Down Syndrome?

She has started to ignore everyone around her, and rolling her eyes when she is spoken to. It is driving me crazy. Any advice would be appreciated!

2Toddlers2Teens

Asked by 2Toddlers2Teens at 5:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Honestly...I think this happens to teenagers with or without Down's Syndrome, lol. I can't give advice from a personal level because I only have one infant son. I would just recommend being patient. It may very well be a phase, or may be due to insecurity. Best of luck! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't have a teen with down's, but I used to work with adolescents with Down's and autism and I can tell you that this is a really tough time for them. It's already tough for typical children to go through adolescence without all the other social and behavioral issues that kids with disabilities have to deal with. The best thing you can do for her is to just be patient, when she gives you attitude, ignore her and she will start to see that she won't get the attention she wants when she behaves that way. And believe me she does want attention even if she acts like she doesn't. The ignoring is probably her way of asserting her independence. Maybe try giving her some more choices in her daily routines so she feels she is making her own decisions or let her make her own schedule...things like that.
    I hope that helps. I have a small child with autism (he's two) and I know it's going to be a rough road ahead. Good luck.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 5:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Lol, don't ALL teenagers do that?

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 5:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Hey, I have a cm friend who belongs to an autism group here. Lots of support and encouragment, check it out!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 5:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• She may have Downs, but she's still a teenager. She's got all the same hormones running through her body that any other teenage girl would. It's a time of asserting independence, and you have to somehow faciltiate that. It will depend a lot on her functioning level. I've worked with kids with Downs who are quite high functioning and will go on to live semi-independantly, hold a paying job, etc, and I've worked with some who will always need a live in caregiver, work in a sheltered workshop, etc. In each case you do what you can to give them as much independance as you can and they are capable of. Good luck.

Oh and don't forget to teach her about sex, sexuality, her body, and what her rights are, healthy relationships, and so on. People with special needs have a much higher rate of being sexually assulted/abused - a lot of times simply because they don't know what's happening or that they can say no.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 30, 2010