Is she old enough to start dating?

My daughter is 15 years old and is about to start the 11th grade and wants my permission to start dating. She gets good grades and i trust her but i think shes too young to begin dating. I told her when shes 16 she can begin to date, but thats still 5 months away. Should i let her date? We're very close and she tells me everything so i know i can trust her. Opinions?

rickysmommy3

Asked by rickysmommy3 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Only you know if your child is emotionally ready to start dating. Talk with her and try to come to some kind of reasonable compromise if you can. I was not allowed to "date" technically until I was 16, but did get to go to movies and spend time with boyfriends with I was 15 within reason.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think it's great that she is coming to you and talking to you about dating and just not going behind your back, so good job to you momma! I think if her 15th birthday is 5 months away, 15 is a good age. Just make sure if you give her the thumbs up she is well aware of your rules as far as the dating scene, meeting the boy, curfews and things like that. My son will be 14 next month, my daughter 14 in november, they grow up fast don't they? good luck!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yikes, If I was in the 11 th grade and not allowed to date, that would of not been too fun! IMO - it depends on her mental age, not her physical. GL!
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 5:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• IMO, it may be better to start her out on double dates. That way she has a friend there to support her if a guy gets too pushy, plus I always felt more relaxed and comfortable with my BFF with me. That may be a good compromise for the 2 of you. Again, just my opinion.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think if you feel she's mature enough and she knows her boundaries , its probably okay. Also just knowing she comes to you is a huge bonus. I agree with Renea20 I think I'd start with double dates or group dates. My son is 15 and I only allow group dates, its not that I don't trust him...but I do know how boys are and while I think he's a great kid I also know he's 15 so I feel like I'm protecting him and the girl he's with.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes, its should be fine, just keep a close eye on her.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't see why not... She's a Junior in HS with good grades, AND she's actually asking for your okay to date... Sounds like a dream kid, why wouldn't you trust her?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Our rule is sixteen

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I see no reason why she isnt old enough, just always meet who she is going out with before they go and keep a strict curfew time
    bshelly

Answer by bshelly at 7:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Our rule is car date at 16 - she has to be able to drive herself, legally, should something unforeseen happen. However, we don't have a problem with going out together with friends, or meeting at the movies or hanging out together at our house - or his AFTER we meet his parents.

mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 8:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010