Is it possible to suddenly develop an allergy to your dog?

I was playing with my dog this a.m. and she was rubbing her face on mine and nibbling and licking. Right after my face and eyes started itching really bad. Now my eyes and face are starting to swell. What is going on?? (No, I haven't eaten or drank anything that would cause this.)

Dorothy24

Asked by Dorothy24 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Pets

• I have had pets all my life, and didn't think I could all of a sudden develop an allergy to my furry friends. But I have developed an allergy to dogs. And I have been allergic to my 2 dogs for over 5 years now. I would never give them away because of it. I find that if I do play with my dogs, to immediately wash my hands with soap and water afterwards. And to not touch my face until I wash my hands. They don't seem to bother me most times unless I do touch them. They are very furry dogs too, long hair, and it sheds all over the house. I've been able to live with them despite my allergies.
    sweetlyblissful

Answer by sweetlyblissful at 6:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i think its likely your dog brought in an allergy from outdoors. usually you build an immunity to your animals so i would say no you are not allergic to your dog, especially if you've had it for a long time. IN other cases though you can become allergic to anything at anytime.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I believe so. I grew up in a very animal friendly home, and as an adult have one myself. I've also worked in a Pet Hospital (until just recently) since I was a Jr. in High School, so i've ALWAYS been around animals. Within the last year or two, i've developed allergies to pet dander. If I get dog or cat hair on my face, snot pours out of my nose, and my eyes get very itchy, watery, and swollen. I don't see how that happens, but it sure does!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes, allergies can develop over time. Generally hormonal changes effect the development, like I've had cats my whole life, but after my pregnancy, I developed an allergy to them. I would try to keep your dog from rubbing all over you, more likely than not it's the oil on her fur, or the fluids from her scent glands that you're allergic to.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I suppose it's possible, I haven't ever heard of that though... DH developed an allergy to bees but only after working a landscaping job in HS and being stung a lot.

Maybe you're just allergic to his saliva?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• maybe she rolled in something. It is possible to develope allergies, but more likely she got into something that you don't usually come into contact with (directly on you face)
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• You could be allergic to the dog's saliva too.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 6:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It's more likely that she's covered in pollen from being outside. My dogs get frequent baths in the summer to wash the pollen off.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I suppose it's possible.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 3:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2010