Is it possible to forgive AND forget an unfaithful spouse?

I know that forgiveness will come over time, but will it ever be possible to forget what happend and move on? Not a personal question, actually for my best friend, so feel free to be COMPLETELY honest. Probably wouldn't be anything I haven't said.

TiffanyMarie03

Asked by TiffanyMarie03 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I think you can forgive, but I dont think you could ever forget
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 6:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• forgive, if it is in your heart and it will take some time
    forget, never, unless you take some mind altering drug, maybe the men in black will let your friend borrow their mind wipe it out thing, otherwise, there is no forgetting
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Well, I've been able to forgive but definitely not forget. I don't think it's a good idea to totally forget anyways. You'll know the warning signs if he does it again.
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 6:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• she will never forget but she will move on once there is true forgiviness, there is no greater love than to forgive peace!
    mom_dl6

Answer by mom_dl6 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It would be really hard to forget, but over time the pain will fade. Kinda depends on her level of committment. Also depends on if he really learned his lesson, or if it is a cover and he hopes he won't get caught again.
    I have seen 4 marriages that have been able to move on and be great together.
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My personal experience has been yes. Yes you can forgive. No you never forget. The memories and your feelings/views of those memories will change overtime. But you never forget.

Moving on and rebuilding are two different things in my mind. Any couple can just "move on", I know many who decided to just forget it happened and moved on. But that tactic didn't actually resolve any of the issues/problems/feelings that led up to cheating to begin with.. Rebuilding on the otherhand. That takes a couple rebuilding their relationship from it's foundation up. Working out all the problems/issues/feelings that led up or contributed to the choice to cheat. Doing that, actually gives your relationship a better chance of not only surviving infidelity but actually becoming a better/stronger relationship in the end.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't think we are supposed to forget the incident, but we are to forgive the ones involved in the incident. With time, we can get to the place where we can think about the incident without bitterness, hatred, or evil thoughts. To forget what actually happened would mean most likely that we were not human, but to be able to remember what happened without animosity is a great victory and it is altogether possible to do that.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Why would you want to forget? It's important to remember. It's hard I know,to forgive.
    GL
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 6:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Forgiveness is definetly possible, forgetting is nearly impossible.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Forgiveness, yes. Forgetting, I doubt it. When someone does something like that how can you ever forget it?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010