How long will potty training take?

My son is 2 1/2 and hasn't had an accident in his big boy underwear in two days. He still wears a diaper at night, but during the day does great in his underwear. How long does it normally take for a child to completely get it? I mean do I need to keep asking him every hour if he has to go for months?

NAT24ROXY24

Asked by NAT24ROXY24 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Like your son, my son got the basic idea after 2 days. However, we've been at it for 2 months now and I still have to take him. He won't tell me when he has to go. However, as others suggested, you can gradually space out how frequently you take him. After a couple of weeks we were up to 1 1/2 to 2 hrs but keep a close idea on days when he has lots to drink!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Depends. My son within 2 weeks had it down night and day. He was taking himself to the bathroom at that point as well.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My son at 2 was telling me he wanted to go from day one. In fact he started his own potty training. However he is 2 and a half and has days where he just decides not to use the toilet but will let me know he is going! I don't know how long it takes but I know kids can get very absorbed in things that even stopping for a bathroom break isn't worth it.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It's different for every child I think my son is 3 years old and has just started potty training, we have been in "big boy" underwear for two weeks now. I have never had to keep asking him if he had to go, he has just either told me or went by himself, however he is still in a diaper at night and that may last for a long time still.
    dylansmom08

Answer by dylansmom08 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My son wasent fully potty trained till he was 3, he was a pain in the butt, my daughter was fully trained at 18mos
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• both my kids 1 boy 1 girl took 2 weeks...
    I think it jsut depends on the kid.
    We were lucky :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Sounds like he's got it! I'd keep asking him, but slowly space it out more. You'll see. Don't even worry about night time training at this point. That can take much longer. Congrats!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2010