pup concern

um I guess the bitch is out of milk because the puppies are getting nothing and they whine is it okay to feed them some wet puppy food and water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Pets

• they are 5 weeks old
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 6:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It is a little early for her to be out of milk. I'd consult your vet, but in the mean time, I'd offer them some wet food and water, they need something to keep them going.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes I would think so... or even dry puppy food mixed with water or puppy formula.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Is the bitch on puppy food? Pregnant and nursing bitches should be on puppy food too.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• yep I feed her a mix of puppy chow and also science diet for puppies
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 6:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If you can afford it I would try a higher end food. www.dogfoodanalysis.com is a good site to learn more about dog foods. If you have a costco membership the costco brand food Kirkland is good food for the money, much better than Science diet and cheaper. But back to the original question, at 5 weeks you should be fine to start switching them to puppy food. I hope you keep them until at least 8 weeks though, longer if you can, because they still need crucial socialization with mom and litter mates so that they can be better rounded adults.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I do foster care and we got in 11 day old puppies. They had to be bottle fed but at 3 weeks we were able to introduce the puppy mush. At 5 weeks they were eating wet food mixed with softened dry food. They are all now very happy, healthy 13 week old puppies!
    AngelicaRenee

Answer by AngelicaRenee at 10:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2010