stiff Breastfeeding question....help. :(

so i am the one who asked the question about BFing, but i am still un clear....

how did you handle the cries like when you try to distract her? and she still is wanting milk and getting mad that you wont give it to her? that is where i am having a hard time.. if she cries then i give in. i have not even begane to wean so i am trying to figure out a peaceful way to get that started. or should i wait? how do i know she is ready? :( help.

Preggydyke

Asked by Preggydyke at 6:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds to me that you aren't ready either. Shame on your doctor for giving you bad breastfeeding advice! Don't worry about what others think. You do what's best for you and your DD!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't think she's ready either. I let my first child self wean and I weaned the second. I feel bad all the time for weaning my second before he was ready.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If she is crying she isn't ready. My son is 2 and a half and he stills nurses and I am going to let him self wean. There is no way I couldn't for the very reason you describe. The only time he stopped was one time when I was ill...he could tell I just needed to rest and he just cuddled me that evening instead of nursing to sleep. Afterwards and having such an brupt stop to the nursing for a good day I felt terrible! I felt like I was a bad mother...but as soon as I perked up he was getting his milk again and I felt really happy that my son had acknowledged I wasn't well.

He nurses less and less but he still needs it emotionally sometimes. I would do what you feel is right..for me letting my son self wean is the only way.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• How old is she? My son is 18 months and just now starting to self-wean. We were down to 3 times a day, and it looks like he's dropping the nap time nursing session.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• she is 21 months. she nurses all the time. sometimes for milk and sometimes for comfort. she is my only child. several years before having her i miscarried at 10 weeks. so she is my everything. some days she wants to be on me all the time nursing. other days she is off doing her own thing. i just cant let her cry for milk tho, like some of these women say to do. it is just in the last few weeks that i have been thinking of doing this whole weaning thing. and i dont even know where to start. she is so sweet and loves to cuddle and be skin to skin. my doc keeps saying that i need to wean but i just do not feel like she is ready....and maybe i am not either. we also co sleep. and she nurses several times at night. everryone around me thinks i should be weaning. but i just dont know what to do. i need some support! help.
    Preggydyke

Comment by Preggydyke (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Any time you are leading the weaning process your LO is going to fight it. It's not her idea, that makes it a bad idea. Welcome to toddlerhood. LOL. Like anything else, you will need to be firm and consistant.
    "not now honey, after bath time" or
    Let's wait until after you eat dinner".
    She's telling you she's not ready. If you're sure you are you'll have to resign yourself to a battle. It's not the last time in her life that she wont like what you have to say. :)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• check this website: http://www.babyledweaning.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 7:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I gave the suggestion in the previous post about distraction. There is no need to wean if you don't want to, and I don't blame you for giving in when she cries. I often would do the same thing. If you're fine w/ continuing as you have been, then don't let anyone else tell you that you need to wean. However, if you've reached your breaking point and are ready to wean then you'll have to set limits and stick to them. It won't be easy. She may not be ready. You can just cut back and not wean fully. You just need to do whatever you feel is best for you and your child.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2010