How do I stop my 1 year old from having such a bad temper?

My son is strongwilled and he is throw a fit by throwing things and screaming. I have tried the time out chair but that seems to do nothing but make him more upset. Any suggestions please???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't add drama, let him get his feelings out and just be there and wait patiently. When he is near done just put your arms out and I am sure he will come give you a hug. That's what I have always done with my son and as time has gone on he has gotten better with dealing with his feelings and not doing the whole temper tantrum thing.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• take away the toy,and give it back when he is good if he keeps on do it again.
    christine121

Answer by christine121 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Stop modeling it. Kids that age imulate what they see. If your toddler has a bad temper it's because someone he is around on a regular basis acts that way. Also, don't fuel the tantrums by paying any attention to them.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Oh, btw, 1 yr old is way too young for time out. 2 yr old is the absolute youngest time outs should start, though my 2 yr old just thinks it's a game.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I disagree with the whole kids model what they see thing. My kids have done some things that we don't do based on what they feel. I also think that he needs to understand that his behavior is not acceptable in your home. So basically you are going to have to figure out what will work for you and your child even if it is a trial and error.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 6:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We don't model it!! My husband nor I throw things and if we argue it isn't infront of our son. I totally disagree with kids model what they see. There are no other children in our house either. Our son only goes to our churches nursery on sundays for an hour so I know he's not seeing it there either. He is isn't around other children very often.
    Karibeg

Answer by Karibeg at 8:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• 1.) He is one and he is most likely having a temper tantrum because he cant express himself the way he wants to.
    2.) If he is throwing things, take them. If he falling out, stand him up or sit him down until he stops. At this age I tried to figure out what my daughter wanted. Sometimes its simple things, but he may not have the vocabulary to say, I want a cracker, so he just throws the toys. You know what I mean.
    3.) Also time out really doesnt work at 1, they dont understand that they are doing something wrong. I used to make my daughter sit until she calmed down and then i would say, now tell mommy what you want. Point to it or go get it. And I would follow her.

Oh and the tantrums and stubborness is just getting started. You should see 2, Woo Boy....my daughter is 2.5 and spends her life in time out. LOL. Not but seriously, he is only 1, they all do it. Throw the cup and then throw themselves to the floor.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010