How do you shower with your kids in the house?

We all like our private time in the shower, but how do you get it when your alone with no one around to monitor your kids. I have 3 girls, the oldest being 7. I work in the resturant business so I like taking my showers at night because I always smell like greasy food when I get home. My husband works nights so he's not home to to watch them when I need to shower. Usually I leave the door cracked and make sure the kids are occupied in one area while I wash. But the other day a friends was over and I was taking a shower and my middle girl whose 4 decides to just barge in to use the bathroom. Talk about embarrassing! Luckily my husband was home and quickly ran to close the door. But still...their used to coming in bc nine times outta ten it's just us girls around. So how do you ladies do it? How do you keep some privacy and still watch your kids responsibly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I take a shower with them.
    I take a bath and let them help me.
    I take one when they are sleeping, nap or night.
    And yep....I skip!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• my son is only 7 mos so if it can't wait til my SO gets home then I wheel his high chair or swing to the bathroom door and give him a toy
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Oh sorry, I didnt help you with the privacy.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i usually shower when the 2 yo' s and the baby are napping. the older boys are fine to identify an emergency, and get me if needed, and they are also old enough to keep themselves busy and not bother me. i am not usually in the bathroom very long though!
    with the heat and humidity, i might take a shower before bed to cool off, when the kids have all gone to bed, or dh is home.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I take one while she naps, she takes one with me. Or I'd wait until my SO is here
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 6:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I just don't worry about privacy, and leave the bathroom door open in case I'm needed.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I usually shower before I go to bed.  That's what I've always done.

Otherwise I shower when I feel like it.  My kids are 4, 7, 8 and 10 and don't need me watching them 24/7.  I just tell them I'm taking a shower and they better behave.  I've been doing that since the youngest was a baby.  Back then the older kids were in charge of her.  If she started crying or getting into something they would come knock on the bathroom door (I always lock it when I'm in the shower since it's my only private time).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• The only time I get privacy is if my husband is home to watch the kids while I shower. Otherwise it is while they are napping or sleeping. I usually just shower in the morning while the 3 and 4 year old watch cartoons and the baby is in a bouncy seat in the bathroom with me.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Um, yeah, I think privacy is out the door the minute you have kids. Sorry. :) When my kids were smaller, I'd take a shower with the door open, but I'd sit them in front of a movie with a juice and a bowl of cheerios. Made good for at least 10 minutes. Most of my showers are very quick: soap on, 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, shave and rinse. Oh, and try not to slip on the hot wheels on the shower floor, or the various other plastic toys littering the place.
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 7:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• When you have kids, there is NO such thing as privacy.

Mine still bathe with me, or have to wait in the bathroom if I can't trust them. The 5 & 9 year old are fine (most of the time) but my 3 year old is NOT to be trusted! lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010