gestational diabetes

did you have gestational diabetes when you were pregnant? How does your diet/lifestyle change if/when you're diagnosed with it?

ahasugar

Asked by ahasugar at 6:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Health

• I had it with my 2nd-5th pregnancies. You basically cut out sweets, but it's only for a few months. Your dr should send you to a nutritionist (mine always did) to help me with new ideas of things to eat and how to use a blood glucose monitor to keep track of my sugars. I never had to go on insulin, but I have used an oral medication with my 4th and now my 5th pregnancies. My largest baby was my 1st, that I didn't even have GD with - he was 8 lbs 9 oz, so all of my others have been smaller.

Answer by missanc at 9:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I had it with both of my pregnancies.
    My diet changed where I was told to cut a lot of carbs out - white breads especially, eat a lot more fruits and veggies, and overall, just watch sugar intake. I was never one to eat or drink sugary foods much... so it wasn't that big of a deal to me.
    However, it was a HUGE pain when they were trying to find my perfect balance of insulin dosages. Lord, that, in itself, was a huge struggle. And I hated giving the injections, my DH always did it for me.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Not with my first but with my second I had it.

Before I learned about it and talked to the diabetes specialists I thought I had to drastically change the way I ate and it was really difficult.
    After I actually learned about it, I realized I could eat a lot of what I thought I couldn't, just in moderation.

Some people have it more severely than others. I never had to use insulin. I could control mine with diet and exercise.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I didn't have it with my 1st, but I did with the next 4 pregnancies. I changed my diet to include little sugar and fewer carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, careful with the cereal) and to include more fiber, which is healthy anyway. I also had to be sure that I exercised and kept track of my blood sugars. With the last 3 pregnancies, I was on insulin. It's not as bad as you'd think to give yourself a shot.

Controlling the blood sugar levels is VERY important for your health and the health of your baby. Only one of mine, the 3rd baby, had a few hours of low blood sugars after his birth so he was watched very carefully and given a bit of sugar water to help raise them.

Moms with GD tend to have larger babies if the blood sugars are not controlled well. Out of the 4 GD pregnancies, I had 10 lb. 4 oz., 9 lb. 15 oz., 7 lb. 10 oz. (very controlled sugars), and 9 lb. 8 1/2 oz. babies.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I didn't have gestational diabetes with my first, but did with my 2nd. I now have type 2 diabetes. The hardest part for me while I was pregnant and now is not having the support of my DH. He doesn't seem to understand that I can eat most anything I want as long as it's in moderation. He continues to eat as he always did~ high carbs, sugary things, etc. Maybe that's one of the reasons my glucose readings have been high lately, being stressed and angry with DH. I guess I'll have to find a better way of controlling things.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010