Help! Naptime/Bedtime Nightmare

My two year old son is now sleeping in his toddler bed and has been for a long time. He use to be great. Go right in and lay in his bed and talk himself to sleep. He never once got up. We just moved and I became a stay at home Mom. I am pregnant with second due in August. Ever since we moved naptime/bedtime have been awful. They range from 30 min to 1 hour of get back in your bed, screaming, crying, etc. I am very pregnant so the naptimes are getting very hard on me. What can I do? I am sure this has everything to do with the moving but it seems to be getting worse day by day. First week after we moved he was perfectly fine. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try sitting in the room with him until he falls asleep but make it clear he has to stay in his bed. Don't talk to him or anything, just sit there. Issue a warning if he looks like he's getting out and leave if he does. Give him a few minutes then go back in and try again. As getting him down improves, sit closer to the door until you're sitting outside the door. Also, each time try just putting him down and leaving. Give him a few minutes to settle then go in and sit with him. While some might argue this will make him dependent on you being in the room, we've found that eventually our son just didn't need us any more. We walked out one night and he just settled. Since he has been good in the past, he'll probably return to that behavior once he's comfortable with the new house. Your presence might help speed this up.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010