How do you prepare your 1st born for the birth of your next child?

I am not currently pregnant but would like to be. One of my major concerns is how to prepare my DS for potential siblings. Currently he is mine and my DH's whole world. How do I ensure he doesn't feel replaced or pushed aside?

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 7:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Bought a few of those Going to be a Big Sister/Brother type stories. Had them come to an ultrasound. Had presents ready for them when people gave the new baby presents. They and the new baby exchanged presents. I involved them in getting out THEIR old baby things ahead of time and showed them pictures of them as a baby and told them stories of their birth and what they were like as an infant. We played some new baby coming home from the hospital game where they got to the be the baby. The best day of my life was the day my third child was born and my middle child who I think was going to be really jealous as she is very clingy and a real Mama's girl spent the day with me in the hospital. We napped together in my hospital bed with new baby in her cassolette. We ordered and shared room service together. She watched cartoons with me. She stayed on the bed with me while I nursed, she held the baby in the big chair in the room. :)
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 8:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Just make sure to give him consistent attention and try not to change too much in his routine.
    We started our DS with a doll. We pretended to love the baby, and change the diaper, feed the baby. etc.
    It carried over to our newest addition. I'd praise him for being such a good big brother, and I'd patiently tell him, "Mommy's feeding sister right now. See how she's eating?" when he'd get a little jealous and want to sit in my lap. I'd explain all my actions and say, "You're being so patient!"
    He'll be fine. You'll do great. Good luck with TTC!
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My 1st was only a baby when I was pregnant with my 2nd so it wasn't a big deal.  She didn't know any different but from the time I found out I was pregnant I talked to her about her new baby brother/sister.  By the time the baby was due and she was 15 months she would point to my tummy and say, "baby".  She wasn't even fazed when we brought her new brother home.  She just accepted that he was there.  Same thing with our 3rd (she was only 28 months and my son was 13 months then).  We were always asking them what they thought the baby would think of whatever we were doing or talked about what things would be like next time we did something when the baby was with us.  They also helped out with the baby (getting diapers, clothes, throwing things away for me, helping hold bottles, etc).

I never had jealousy issues until my kids got much older (like now at 4, 7, 8 and 10).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:34 PM on Jun. 30, 2010