Everyone always says that good communication is the key to a marriage - But what is good communication?

Can I have some examples? I'm just really at a loss for trying to improve the communication in my relationship. I need some tips...

allfiller

Asked by allfiller at 7:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• For my dh and I it is about talking through things that bother us. It is not about blaming one another. We do the "I" statements, "I feel" such and such. "To me it feels like..."
    There are also times when I need a break from my husband BEFORE I can talk things out. Sometimes a cool down period is essential to maintaining a cool head during conversations.
    But that's us. Good luck to you.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 7:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• For me it was very liberating to finally be in a relationship where we promised to be honest with each other, no matter how much it might hurt. I am able to say exactly how I feel even if it might hurt his feelings and he can feel free to do the same. You have to have a bit of a thicker skin for it to work. He is also very good at nurturing me when I am low, but at lest now I can know it is honest. Good luck
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 7:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Letting each other know of your wants,needs,and expectations

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Its making sure we both get our needs met and nobody has to go without.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Good communication is saying what needs to be said in a kind way that respects the other person and upholds the relationship. Example, I feel like I want to spend more time with you instead of you never send time with me. Also, sometimes it is just listening even when you do not agree and hearing him out. Also it is not saying something that isn't really needed or helpful.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Check out The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman.  It really helped me understand that simply 'talking' isn't necessarily communication.  Check out this link.  It gives a little run-down of the 5 love languages in a short summary: http://marriage.about.com/cs/communicationkeys/a/lovelanguage.htm

Try to pick up the book though b/c it goes into better detail.  Its an easy read.  GL!

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2010