How to help a 6 year old to stop wetting the bed?

my son has been wetting his bed ever since my 14 month was born, it isn't an every night thing but it is happening too often, I need suggestions on what we could do. We have tried cutting off all liquids 2 hours before bed and getting him up a couple times a night and nothing seems to be working. He says he doesn't want to wear Goodnights for they are for babies and younger kids.

Autumnlover68

Asked by Autumnlover68 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have read that this is not unusual with a new addition to the family...it could be a bit of competition for your attention. I would try to be very gentle with the approach here as You do not want to hurt his self esteem. Ask the Doctor too, sometimes it is a physical problem. To protect the beds during this process, I have found that plastic shower curtain liners work sooo much better than regular mattress pad liners. I usually put it on then several bottom sheets over it...they have never leaked and are easy to clean. Good luck.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Since you limit liquids and get him up, I am thinking he probably isn't doing this with a full bladder. I would suggest you have him seen by the doctor just to make sure it isn't just a coincidence with having a new sibling.

If all is well physically, explore the ways you can spend time with him, nurture him, care for him individually. Maybe have a least one Mom/son; Dad/son time each week. Hopefully, he will get back to his normal developmental age in the area after a week or two. Some kids do have bladder problems when they are younger and it is genetic. Did you or your husband have this issue as a child? Eventually, it will be grown out of but he will be older than the average aged child. Be patient and find the appropriate undergarment for him to wear. It doesn't have to mean he is a baby but it is necessary.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Sounds like he needs to see a Doctor, because you tried other methods and thats not it.
    jlbtnc

Answer by jlbtnc at 8:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Ya it really sounds like he needs to see a doctor! whatever u do make sure you don't punish him for it! That can really mess a kid up when its not there fault!
    Anonymous

• Have you talked to his doc? I would make an appt. Some kids have bed wetting issues into thier preteens (and some even later!)
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 9:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• A girl i work with has the same problem with her 12 yr. old son. she took him to the dr. and there is a pill that can help but the dr. said he doesn't like kids depending on it. so she went and bought a potty chair, put it next to his bed. that way if he woke up in the middle of the night, he could go pee without leaving his room. he wakes up sometimes and uses it and empties it in the morning, but he does still have a few accidents. the thing to remember is that sometimes they can't help it. good luck sweetie.
    chadsmom05

Answer by chadsmom05 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Okay, did you or your husband have a hard time at night? Usually bedwetting is hereditary and very common in boys. My poor son is 9 and still wears a pull up at night. We do not make a big deal out of it as it is not his fault. I did everything... no liquids, waking him up 2x's a night, alarm clock, you name it. Well, my father had major issues with bed wetting and so did I. I have a water proof pad under his sheets and he wears a pull up...no big deal. I know there is medication that does help some children but I really don't want to go that route. The Goodnights website has some good information. Also it is always a good idea to talk to your ped. I just make sure my son knows that bed wetting is not his fault and we make no fuss out of the wet nights and a big high five for the dry nights. If he wakes up at night (is finally just starting) he can take his pull up off and go back to bed. I don't know if any of this helped. Good luck!
    mabbinanti

Answer by mabbinanti at 12:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It might be stress but it could also be a horomone deficiency. There is a certain horomone that causes the bladder to spasm and relax. In some kids they don't produce enough of the horomone so they don't get the sensation that they need to go to the bathroom. Unfortunately most docs will not treat this til the child is 8 years old. It is actually somewhat normal for bedwetting until that age. Good luck.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 3:13 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My older daughter who is now almost 10, battle with this issue for years. We finally took her to see a urigiost(SP?)anyway they put her on DDVAP. It seem to work. Though thinking about it now she doesn't anymore, I think once the hormones kicked in it stopped like almost over night. Hope this helps.
    hollyk96

Answer by hollyk96 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2008