Woman's feelings on PAP smear early pregnancy

I'd like to know experiences and opinions (be nice), I myself believe I had a twin miscarriage of one baby after a 6 week papsmear, which I immediately starting spotting and passing greyish pinkish material, I believe it was twin becuz I started leaking colostrum one week before my period, and a dream I had. I still had one left afterwards. I know there are abortion packs you can buy the involve sticking something in the cervix..whos to say they didnt go too far, they're human it can happen, its a risk I don't feel is worth taking, I believe it to be a monetary thing as usual. Especially for women who are high risk or have incompetent cervix, and besides even if it was positive, which pregnancy increases the likeihood of anyways, no treatment can be done until after birth, so in theory what is the point? Pregnancy is natural and human error could result in a bad reaction from the body and cause it to terminate. I am refusing

shelleylvn

Asked by shelleylvn at 7:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Was there a question in there?
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have had 3 miscarriages. I don't have paps until 2nd trimester or later. But then again I have only had 1 abnormal pap in 15 years and that was from having sex the day before my pap. If you have had a history of abnormal paps, the risk of cervical cancer cells excellerated growth during pregnancy is a greater risk the pap. You have to weigh the risks based in individual situations rather than making sweeping generaliziations about whether skipping a pap during 1st trimester is a good idea or not.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I've never had a pap during either pregnancy and never miscarried.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 7:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I refused my pap this pregnancy because I had one 3 months prior to the exam they wanted to do it at. I had one with my other two pregnancies and didn't miscarry from it. I've had 3 miscarriages and none of those pregnancies got past 8 weeks, so I never had a pap with them. I'm sorry for your loss, but honestly, if one of the babies survived, I doubt it was from the pap smear. They do the pap smear to check for some STDs and abnormal cells. The STDs they can treat while you are pregnant and prevent you from passing them to your baby during delivery.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I refused the pap w/ my 3rd child
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I am considered high risk during all of my pregnancies and I still receive pap smears.. I honestly doubt you miscarried from a pap smear as they don't force anything into your cervix.. and your cervix is long and closed during early pregnancy.. So you might have miscarried around the time you got your pap smear simply by chance.. I always get tested for infections and such during pregnancy.. as bacterial infections can cause pregnancy complications.. I don't like taking chances..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I refused the pap this time, had just had one 4 months before. Had them with my first two though.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• No sweeping generalizations.....in theory unless otherwise stated this would mean with all things the way they should be, meaning no prior history of positive or abnormal paps.......I have had 5 paps done with 5 of my children , I only bleed with one afterwards.........but I have a scientific mind and do understand that if probed to far in , a pap smear in theory can cause a miscarriage......if you google it in forums I am not the only one who has experienced immediate bleeding or miscarriage right after, there are also docs who do not perform 1st trimester paps for this reason in other countries its not done either. Its quite heartbreaking.....does it mean it will occur with you....NO...however it may...it is a personal decision...to me if they was even a .1% chance that it could hurt my baby or induce some chemical reaction by my body ...the chance is too great....just my feelings
    shelleylvn

Comment by shelleylvn (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Also ladies please do your research and know what you are speaking on before you answer......copied from the net

A small brush called a cervical brush is then inserted into the opening of the cervix (the cervical os) and twirled around to collect a sample of cells. Because this sample comes from inside the cervix, is called the endocervical sample ("endo" meaning inside).

see the word inserted....so yes it does go inside.....
    shelleylvn

Comment by shelleylvn (original poster) at 1:45 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I never questioned having a PAP at my first appt when I was pregnant. I had PAPs with my first two boys at 6 weeks and 7 weeks. The PAP was not painful at all and she used a cotton tip instead of a cervical brush. At my last PAP I was 6 weeks 4 days pregnant. It was painful and according to my husband he used a cervical brush. That day the fetus looked great and we saw a heartbeat. 3 days later I started bleeding and today (4 days later), I am experiencing a miscarriage. I had an ultrasound today which showed no heartbeat and no growth since Thursday. Hmmm...I don't want to rush to blame the PAP but it does make one wonder if there is a correlation. I have never had a miscarriage before and I have read that once the heartbeat is visible there is only a 15% chance of miscarriage. Next time I will not have a PAP smear until the 6 week follow-up after the baby's birth.
    greenbebe

Answer by greenbebe at 11:03 PM on May. 12, 2014