Dating Ages... Should they be different for boys & girls?

I was reading through some old posts just now and many said "I want my boys to be #, but my girls have to wait til they are #" Or something similar...

If you have boys and girls, do you have a difference in ages as to when they can date? Or if you don't, do you think there should be a difference as to when boys and girls can date? Why or Why Not?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I was TOTALLY going to ask a question similar to this. My husband always states that if he ahd a daughter, she wouldn't be allowed to date until she was 18, but says our son can go on dates as early as he'd like. He's wrong, bc I will have say in that, lol, but I think people, especially dads, tend to be way more lenient towards boys. I haven't decided yet when I'll allow my son to date...it'll be at least another 14 years minimum, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't really have a min. age. I would like them to be in Highschool before they start one on one dating, but I don't see any reason for different rules for different kids... Plus, if they are like I was - tell them they can't, and they will just sneak out and do it anyways... So why not just let them do it and be honest about it...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think they should both be the same age!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think no matter boy or girl 16 is acceptable. Besides if boys are allowed to date sooner than girls who are they going to date typically in school kids seem to stick to kids their own age. I thinkis group outings are okay at 14 or so unless there is for sure a parent present.
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I do practice double standards where my children are concerned. They gain privileges based on their maturity, and responsibility levels.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• they can start Dating when they are 16. Doesn't matter the gender.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I don't think it should be based on gender, but on the maturity of the child in question. Some kids are ready for a relationship at 14 or 15 and others may not be ready until 16 or 17.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• LovingSAHM....

My DH is the same way. We're about to have our second daughter, and he's always maintained that any son we had would be able to do -- pretty much whatever, He's crazy, of course, because *I* say differently, but...

I think age matters less than maturity. If a girl is mature enough to date at 16, great. If her brother is a total crazy kid at 16 - he can wait.

Generally, though, I'll say 14 or 15 would be okay for group outings (maturity permitting) and 16 for individual date, assuming the date is close in age.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 7:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Oh, let me add that the reason one-on-one dates should wait for 16 is because I don't want to be driving my kids on single dates.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 7:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think it makes sense for them to be the same age when we allow them to start dating... and I'm thinking that number can be say, 16? We'll see when the time comes. But really, kids are usually dating their peers in the same class from school, so it makes sense to just set the same rule for both.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 8:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2010