Question for Catholics, Orthodox, and anyone else who wants to respond

Do you have a favorite story of a particular Saint? To clarify for those who do not know, the Catholic Church (and I think the Orthodox, too) acknowledge everyone in heaven as saints. There are some people, like Mother Teresa, for example, that have walked so closely with God that they are officially recognized as Saints.

I like St. Rita of Cascia. Her husband was a horrible, violent man who ended up being murdered. She had prayed and prayed for his conversion. Then her sons decided to take revenge against their father's killer and they killed him. She prayed that they would forgive. She outlived her sons, too. She prayed for many years that God would give her a sign that they were in Heaven. She got that sign and knew they'd had a conversion of heart while they were yet alive.

She's a great example of a woman who dealt with some big problems in her family and persevered.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 7:41 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• As RyansMom said - Catholics and Orthodox believe everyone in heaven is a saint (that's celebrated on All Saints Day). Now some people have been officially recognized with the title "Saint" - but even someone doesn't have the title, everyone in heaven is a saint. Also followers here on earth are saints. The "Commnion on Saints" is mdae up of those here on earth and in heaven.

As for my saint story - I like St. Catherine Sienna, one because she is a 'doctor of the church' meaning her theological contributions have been recognized by the church. But she also when through a long time of fasting - not eating. I have a rare medical condtion that makes it hard for me to physically get food from my mouth into my stomach - I have trouble eating. I found comfort in her accepting the fasting as a way to grow closer to God.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My favorite saint is St. Francis. I know - everyone likes him, lol, but I can't help it! <3

"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace..."
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I might be wrong but Catholics don't consider everyone in heaven to be a saint. In fact I do not believe that Mother Theresa is official a saint yet but is still in the process

~~~~~

The Catholic church considers us all saints those in Heaven and on Earth, but only a few are given the title of saint. Mother Theresa is in the process of becoming a saint, that just means she is would be called St. Theresa but we are all part of a Communion of Saints.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I might be wrong but Catholics don't consider everyone in heaven to be a saint. In fact I do not believe that Mother Theresa is official a saint yet but is still in the process.
    That said, I love the story of Saint Monica and how she prayed for the conversion of Saint Augustine. It was her unwaving faith and guidance that help to grow one of founding fathers of the Catholic faith. To me she is second only to Mary in symbolizing motherhood. Believe in your children, continue to care for them even if they don appreciate it or rebel and ultimately it will pay off in the end.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 7:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Saint Frances of Rome- She was a wealthy but kind girl who's Mother taught her to keep a home and be caring. She was married at 13, and had the secret desire to care for the poor. Her sister in law and her both dressed in robes at night to go feed the poor. When caught by family they were made fun of. Well through the kidnapping of her husband and plagues she held strong and even brought her cruel daughter in law around by the kindness of nursing her back to health. When her husband returned she had founded an order called the Oblates of Mary.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 7:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Saint Michael (I am partial because my Mom just retired from the Highway Patrol)
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I love reading about the lives of saints because they areinspirational. They were able to find love and peace in this world often while struggling with great hardships. Right now I reading a book about St. Bernadette Soubirous. I've always liked St. Rita.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Do you really think that? I see a wimpy little doormat who let her husband and children and everyone else walk all over her. Who sat back on her ass praying for her non-existent god to save her instead of getting up and walking away. Someone who couldn't take care of herself, let alone take care of the problems around her. But, to each their own. My preference is St. Michael the Archangel. He is stronger than the devils and dark entities of this world. Nobody walks all over him. Nor does he let them walk all over his friends.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2010