Do any of your children eat paper?

My son eats paper any kind books, candy wrappers, crayon boxes, napkins ect... My Dr said it is gonna be a phycological problem but my therapist said its a viatmin deficiency just not sure what road to take.

avin06

Asked by avin06 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my sister's son does that he has pica (sp)
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My older children have never done that, except when they were babies. (You know how babies can put everything in their mouth)
    I believe yes, that there is a condition called pica, is that where they can eat dirt and sand too?
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Well, they are both right. Pica is a psychological need to eat nonfood items, yet, a vitamin imbalance can also cause one to crave certain things.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• yes I have a 9mth old that eats paper and i think that she would rather eat paper than food. I dont know what is wrong here the doctor said it was fine but if you find out different let me know please.
    krystal9099

Answer by krystal9099 at 6:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• yes dd. if i buy her a puzzle made of cardboard she eats its, she checks on paper. she also likes to eat crayons and other stuff. she is almost 4 by the way
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:34 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Actually I would substitute the paper for a snack he will eat. He could choke if he tries to swallow paper. It will help him stop eating something that really isn't suppose to be eaten in the first place. If he has a vitamin deficiency maybe your pediatrician should be recommending chewable vitamins as part of his diet.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2010

• My daughter did that also along with dirt and things the dr said it could be a lack of nutrients or vitamin that she needs so he gave her floride and vitamins and I started giving them to her and the eating weird stuff has stopped
    StephanAndCoral

Answer by StephanAndCoral at 10:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2010