My family

How do I tell my very overbearing (but mostly my fault) family that I plan on "disappearing". I moved from PA up to NY temporarily waiting for my mothers vacation to end for us to move up to ND. But I have been thinking ALOT in the past for weeks all the while sleeping on my sisters couch how much I am tierd of being so dependent on my family and how controlling my mother is. whatever she says goes and I am to blame for going along with it. but I want to start over. I want a new place away from everyone. idk how im gonna do it but I plan too. i know they are gonna freak out and at first I just wanted to leave with w/e I could carry and not look back. but I know that they would freak out even more not knowing where I went to with my son. I just want to be free. from everyhting ive caused onto myself and I want to just get away and live for myself really. am i wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• You do what makes you happy. If you are happy your son is happy as well. The only suggestion I have is that you plan it out very carefully and do let leave a note and that you will contact them when you’ve settled. Do tell them why you left, it’s just the fair thing to do.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Well, I can tell you that I once packed up my car with all it could hold and silently moved 16 hours away to a town where I knew no one and no one knew me. Just me and my son who was 10 at the time. We lived there for a year, then I moved closer to my dad, and bought a house and was here three years before my mom found me and tried to ask for a truce to be in our lives again. She has been a little better in her ways and I still live by myself 2 hours away from her. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I did leave a tiny note that said I left and would call sometime later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I'd want to be sure I had a job lined up and a place to stay and enough money for a few months rent and supplies.

Answer by Bmat at 8:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• it sounds like they love you very much, don't disapear..if only for your son's sake, it's good for him to have as many people in his life that love him. Be an adult about it, and tell them that your moving to x,you have a job and an appartment lined up and if they want to visit they can.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Funny you should post this question at this moment. I am watching a show called Disappeared. Watching all the pain the family goes through (and experiencing it when my bff disappeared-gone for 3 months before they found her murdered. I think it's wonderful you want to be independent, but please make an untraceable call, send a letter so they KNOW it's from you! Anything to let them know you are ok. Don't just leave without a trace.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2010