Is this a very long phase or just how he is?

My 14 month old boy is a handful. I have 3 children and he is the biggest handful I've ever taken care of. He cries when he's not held he fights naps sleep. He doesn't have a physical problem confirmed by pedi. Wth is it just a phase or what? I'm worn out by him! Any advice paleeeez

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Kids have different personalities.....I would think this is just the way he is. I hope you get some sleep in the future! Good Luck to you!
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Reward him for his good behavior and try and ignore the behavior you don't want. It can drive you crazy until he figures out it is better to stop the inappropriate behavior. 14 months old is young but they are smart and figure out quickly if they exhibit a behavior that makes you come running or do anything to get them to stop, they will continue because it works. I have a child in daycare that does that. She is crying non stop, but now I've been catching her playing or doing something and not crying I give her a big kiss on the head and tell her I love her and she is such a big girl. Big smiles and lots of positive attention. When she cries for attention, I tell her no no and then ignore her until she stops. Its hard to be consistent. You still watch them closely to be sure they are ok so when I say ignore them I mean don't make eye contact.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Try wearing your youngest in a sling, carrier, wrap, or hip carrier. It's difficult for my son and I to help my toddler grandson get to sleep since we don't have "magic milky". I breastfed my 3 children until they were way over 2 so they could always nurse to sleep. My DIL works and when I take care of my grandson I play music videos for him on the computer. He will fall asleep on my lap and I hold him while he naps. Of course this would be hard to do with other kids to take care of. About the only other way he falls asleep is in his car seat.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• You might want to consider reading the book Child Sense. I am finishing up reading it now. It explains how all children have their own dominant sensory interface with the world, helps you determine what your childs is, then what yours is, and how it affects how your child behaves, learns, and communicates every day. And then it offers advice that can help you and your child communicate and understand each other better.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010