How can i get my 10 month old to stop throwing fits?

my 10 month throw fits if you take him away from anything he wants. Any advice to help me deal with it or suggestions to help him stop. If i put somthing he can have in front of him or try to give it to him he throws it and screams louder.

K3lly94

Asked by K3lly94 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Childproof and make life have as few frustrations as possible. Don't say no when you take things away or move him. Here is an article that might help.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I would tell him : thats not how you act dont scream you need to behave. and thats all

i wouldnt kep trying to pacify him with other toys if he keeps throwing the fit.

the more attention you give him when he acts like this the more he'll do it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• he is too young to understand. Redirection is your best bet but he is acting like he isn't getting his needs met, or at least he thinks he isn't. I think the older he gets the better it will be for you. Just tell him no and ignore his behavior. I mean keep a close eye on him but don't make eye contact. Don't let him know you are still watching him. He doesn't get the reaction from you and that is what he wants and has figured out it works. Change it up. It might drive you crazy until he figures it out but it is worth it in the end.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• You might try redirecting his attention before you take something away. Otherwise, just ignore the tantrum and continue to interact with him until it passes.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Walk away! Don't respond to the fit.
    sillyme85

Answer by sillyme85 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Look the other way, don't show that you are affected. When my granddaughter was about that age she tossed her toy and continued playing, but as soon as her mother walked in the room she turned on the screaming and crying and reaching for the toy. It was fascinating- mom not in the room she was fine, mom in the room to react and soothe then she was all screaming.

Answer by Bmat at 8:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I can't really remember my son having fits or tanturms at 10 months old. Hmm..those didn't start till long after he turned one. Now he's six and now he has the verbal skills to argue with me all the live long day. I would say to ignore that. There's no reason a 10 month old should have a tantrum. A lot of them aren't even walking by then. They are still babies.
    mehamil1

Answer by mehamil1 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• He is 10 months old. How else do people expect a preverbal baby to communicate emotion. When he's upset he shows it. That's normal. Of course he's going to get irritated if you present something else to him...put yourself in his shoes. He doesn't understand. Don't get upset, don't make an issue of it. Redirect and distract. When you remove him from the situation don't say no, say "Oh! That is so interesting,but not for you. Here have this!" With excitement. He won't understand you, but will understand your body language and tone.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• try redirecting...he is only 10 months so it may be hard for him to express what he wants or feels...and he may just be doing ti for attention but try rredirecting the fits to something else..good luck! :)
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i tune it out
    kathy067j

Answer by kathy067j at 8:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2010