What should happen to someone who makes a maliciously false accusation of child abuse?

In New York state a parent who files a false complaint will lose custody and only be allowed supervised visitation. Is that enough in your opinion? Isn't the accusation damaging to the child/ren in question? How about jail time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with SabrinaMBowen. Now if someone deliberately made up and accusation of sexual abuse then I would not only favor felony charges, but give the person who is falsely accused and/or their family the opportunity to take it out of their hide and not suffer any consequenses!!!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I'm for felony charges! I mean, a false allegation should be at least as sever as the crime itself... I'm not talking about people who honestly think they are doing good, but the people who simply make up allegations in order to hurt someone else... Being drug through the courts, possible foster care and therapy is just as damaging as abuse!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• my ex and his girlfriend recently called the police and said we were beating out 14 month old. I have to say tho I do NOT abuse my child and the cops know this as well-it is so so painful to know there is a paper out there somewhere saying I was accused. I think that the person who files the false report needs to be fined heavily and maybe do some community service to learn not to waste the time of the authorities. yannno while they were here, looking at my perfectly loved and healthy son-some other child may have truly needed them. its ridiculous true, but how would one prove they KNEW they were lying I mean how to prove it was malicious versus concern? thats the only issue....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• The reality is these types of reports are usually from women against men to get back at them or be in control. Making false reports degrades the entire system and makes any claim doubtful. When it is real, people are reluctant to believe the person. It is the feeling that I can lie about abuse of any kind and the law will rush to help me as a woman. If a man makes a claim of abuse, he might as well said he could lift the Empire State Building. People look at him like he just grew a 3rd eye. It is discrimination of the worse kind. I am for felony charges. I have 3 sons and I worry about women out there who haven't been taught any values and are only out for themselves. My sons will have to endure their venom. One son already has. He carries the scars of an ex who lied and admitted to it on tape. It doesn't matter though. the damage is done.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I agree maybe it would stop people from using them to hurt the other parent or someone else.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think it should be like ever the punishment is for filing a false police report.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I do think the accuser should be punished if they knowingly filed a false report. I'm in favor of fines and community service.
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If that is what NY does, I think it too much to take custody away and require supervised visitation. People do crazy things they wouldn't normally do when they are going through divorce.

My son's father accused me of child abuse during our divorce. The investigation was brief because it was so obviously a lie. Punishing him by making him have supervised visitation for 18 years would not have fit the "crime". That was back when moms almost always got full custody, he wasn't even trying to get custody.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It depends. Deliberately, yes. But different people have different ideas about child abuse. Spanking, homeschooling, religion, medical choices..... All these could be seen as child abuse to one person and perfectly normal and acceptable to others. You also could have instances where real child abuse is going on, but the accuser cannot prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. They may fail to report their suspicions for fear of losing their child. For instance, sexual abuse without penetration would be hard to prove. Emotional and verbal abuse may be hard to prove.

CPS's job is to investigate. However, they frequently fail to take children out of a dangerous situation. Let's say a mother reports her ex, and CPS fails to find proof. The mother loses custody, putting the child 100% in the abusers hands. Only later does the abuse come out; but in the meantime the child has suffered needlessly.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010