First birthday party

what did you make for you daughter or son first birthday?
i'm wondering if i'm the only one that always thought that the baby first birthday should be a big party... but my reality has a single teen mom make this dream unperformed. so every mom ever dream about it?
i feel like she deserve to have big party's in all her birthdays

Sofiah

Asked by Sofiah at 8:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hey. I'm a single teen mom too. my son's first birthday is in 4 mnths &i completely agree on them having a "big" birthday on all birthdays even though i'm gonna cry on his first birthday because he is already a big boy i'm so ready for it :)
    maris1192

Answer by maris1192 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My son's birthday is only 3 short months away, and I've been bugging my fiancee to help me start planning it. I know I'm gonna cry cuz my baby's not so much a baby anymore but I'm oh so proud of him. I think birthdays should be a big deal at least while they're kids because often times birthdays become just another day to them. Give 'em a chance to really enjoy the celebration of their life!
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 8:36 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I'll tell you the best advice I ever got was to go small. I didnt listen. Stupid me. He was too young to remember or even really enjoy it. He was pretty overwhelmed most of the time. He spend the whole day in grandmas lap. The first present he opened was a shirt and he spent the next 30minutes playing with the box while the other kids helped me open the rest of them. I didnt get any pictures because I was too busy running around. Other people took pictures; I'm not in any of them. The cake was the best part. I really wish we would have just done cake and ice cream w/ close family.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• we didn't go all out for my son's first party. we just had the grandparents come over for cake and ice cream. my son did get his own cake to destroy and eat. and of course we did gifts. but i am the one who opened them. he didn't have any interest in opening presents - he just wanted to play with the paper and boxes
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 8:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It should be whatever you want it to be. We had a small family party for my son's first (because really that was the only choice we had), while my grand-nephew (who turned 1 yesterday) had a big party. But then his mommy & daddy know a lot of people (plus family), whereas DH and I don't. Honestly, I preferred the small get together we had (have) for our son's birthdays. I get really uncomfortable being around a lot of people, especially when I don't know them.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My son wont be 1 from 2 more months but we are going to have a bbq in my parents back yard and keep to family and close friends. I like it better that way less to do and buy it not as much of a hassel. Keep in mind to they wont remember it i know that them turning one is a big but also with small party you have less stuff to focus on and you can focus more on your kid. But thats just my opionin.
    K3lly94

Answer by K3lly94 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I've been dreaming of a big party, too. My daughter will be one in Sept. The big deal to me is really celebrating and being thankful that we all came through so many difficulties and she is doing so well. I honestly think that even if we only put a little money into it, the feeling at the party would be the same. Fortunately my family is all about bringing stuff to parties, so I know I'll have lots of offers for food items, which will make the budget more friendly. I'm not going all out for decorations, but I will make sure she has a few Mylar balloons, because she LOVES them. I was also thinking of getting her a special cupcake to dig into! My sister will probably make the cake, cause her son's allergic to peanuts AND she's soooo good at cake decorating. We're having the party at my house.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 9:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I think you should give him the birthday party you want to give him, but what's really important is the family taking the time to let him know it's his birthday. The people who love him the most.
    For my daughter's first birthday she had cake, and ice cream. I made the cake and served ice cream with it. I invited one of my good friends, and her two children. We just let the kiddies play in the yard and we made a barbeque for the five of us.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 9:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• We have always had large birthday parties for my chidren. Though this year, due to our friends moving, our daughter wont have anyone her age around. So we're just going to take her to chuckie cheese instead. And have a small celebration extended family the day after her birthday. I agree though, every kid deserves a good party.
    We normally do a bbq, salads, chips, and cake and ice cream.
    cthrush82

Answer by cthrush82 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010