Moved far away from hospital/pregnant with second/doctor suggested breaking water or inducing?

I moved about an hour from hospital. My first labor/delivery was 7 hours total. I really don't want to do anything to speed up labor or pick a day to deliver, etc. Am I crazy? Will I make it to the hospital? One doc in practice said we could break water if cervix is dialated which I may be open to. Has anyone had this done? Another doc in practice just through the idea out there about giving me drugs to put me in labor which I don't want to do at all. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• An hour isn't a horrible amount unless your having problems with your pregnancy. I wouldn't worry about it. Although, i've heard after your first, you go faster!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• If you don't want to do anything like inducing, don't. I was induced with my second and was okay with it but I don't believe a doctor can force you into that if you don't want to have it done. All you have to do is say no.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• well if they break your water it may not cause labor, and you will have to them stay int he hospital til delivery. plus then you may not have a choice about drugs to induce as its not safe to have the waters broken for long. I say make a choice, pick a day for induction or just wing it-either way best of luck :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I disagree with nearly all interventions if there is not a necessity for it.
    And in your case, it does not sound as if there is any reason for them to break your water.

But do your own research. Find out what you are okay with.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I wouuld NEVER induce, ever. That can led to a ton of other interventions. I would not risk it. Read the Book Emergency Childbirth ( you can find it on www.inhishands.com) and prepare for whatever may happen. Would you be comfortable with a Midwife and a Homebirth? Then you wouldn't have to go anywhere and risk intervetions that you don't want. Good Luck.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Being an hour away from the hospital would only mean that you leave home when your labor starts instead of waiting until the last minute. Induction isn't necessary, and neither is having your water artificially broken. Letting them break your water would put you on their clock; most docs only want to give you 24 hours, at which point they'll want to do a C-section. And letting them induce you would put you on a different kind of clock; they'll want you to make a certain amount of progress within a certain amount of time, and if you don't, they'll want to do a C-section. Something to think about when making your decision.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• An hour isn't that far away and not a good reason to induce. You could have a home birth.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• What I mean by you could have a home birth is you could have a planned home birth with a midwife.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• An hour isn't that far away. I labored a few hours at home with my second before going to the hospital, and my entire labor with him was less than 6 hours. In your situation, I would just leave for the hospital as soon as I started feeling contractions.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I was an hour and a half away from the hospital with a 7 hour labor. I went when labor started. No issues. I would refuse inducing or breaking water or anything like that. I prefer my kids to come when they are ready.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2010