Omg! Can I really refuse a pap smear in early pregnancy?

I know I have no STD's, my husband is faithful blah blah blah...... Soooo, is there any particular reason to do a pap in early pregnancy and can I refuse it? Do they "let" me refuse it easily or will they give me a hard time? Experiences plz! also, I read someone else's question and they said it could cause a miscarriage, is this true?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I refused mine during pregnancy. I had cervical dysplasia prior to pregnancy and they still let me refuse it without much fuss. I had a miscarriage about four months before getting pregnant again and I was just scared to get one.

JUST BE SURE TO GET IT AFTERWARDS! They are very important!
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 8:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• It checks for more than STDs. They make sure the cervix is healthy and the chance of miscarriage is slim. If you going to refuse something as simple as a PAP smear, you must not be planning a hospital birth.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• you can refuse anything just so you know.

my Dr. always asked when my last pap was, if it had been within the recommended yearly pap time frame, she wouldn't have done one. She actually didn't with my last baby because I got pregnant when my son was 7 months old, she figured not much would have changed since the last one.

as for miscarriage, I don't know about that one, but considering my dr. told me that aggravating the cervix could bring on preterm labor for me during my last pregnancy, I don't see why a pap couldn't cause a miscarriage.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• lol... Umm.... actually I'm having my fourth c-section and pap smears are NOT "simple" for me. I'm very sensitive and it hurts an incredible amount.
    AshJoe05

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't do one at all during pregnancy. Some said they did okay, some say it can be dangerous. I wasn't taking any chances. I told the nurse practioner no and that was the end of it.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• wildflower- so WHAT do they actually look for? I'm having a c-section so I dont see the need to check my cervix for anything. I'm also not doing the genetic testing...
    AshJoe05

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• you can refuse anything, but they are very important. and no, they don't cause miscarrages
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• they are checking to make sure your cervix is healthy.... that's what a pap smear is for.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• why dont you talk to your doctor about the effects of not getting on and if you fell uncofortable with it or it hurts you than dont do it,
    K3lly94

Answer by K3lly94 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• princess- I know that, it's not the only thing though... I guess I'm wondering because i have never had a natural birth and am having another c-section... so, what is the point of them checking it? what if it isn't healthy then what do they do??
    AshJoe05

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2010