Gerber Juice

Is the 100% Gerber juices okay to give my infant? I heard juice is bad for their teeth apple inparticular.. are these one made different so that they are okay?

fenska87

Asked by fenska87 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes it's okay but if you do then dilute it A LOT
    my dentist doesn't recommend it at all because the juice IS from concentrate.
    His pediatrician doesn't recommend juice at all until after one so....take that and make your own decision
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• no, they're just in smaller bottles and cost more. they're the same as any other 100% juice brand.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• They aren't made different, they just don't have any "added" sugar.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• No, they arent made any different. Juice is not at all necessary. It's full of sugars (be it natural or otherwise). I dont think that children under 1 need anthing to drink other than formula or breastmilk.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• how much should you dilute it?
    fenska87

Comment by fenska87 (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Babies don't need any juice. The AAP is against giving babies and toddlers juice and recommends a max of 4 oz diluted juice after 6 mo in an open cup, no bottles or sippy cups.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• When i started juice i put like a little taste in with the water. And the gerbers are exactly the same as aduly 100 percent juice. And yes juice can rot the teeth, but if its diluted and you brush thier teeth or gums regularly and give it in moderation and never put them to bed with it they have less of a chance. My son is 12 months and he gets juice only 2 to 3x a week. I do 3oz juice in 6oz water. And just a side note, apple is the worst of the juices. As well as grape. They hold little nutrition and alot of empty calories :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• P. S. and never ever put it in a bottle :)
    carsonsmommytam

• Honestly, avoid juice. It is all the fruit sugar without the goodness of the actual fruit.. Diluted or not, it is still sugar. Water is sufficient, healthy, and won't affect teeth.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Sorry I forgot to mention, don't give a baby under six months water or anything other than formula or breastmilk. They don't need it, it will take the place of their nutritious liquid diet, and it can affect their body pH.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2010