What does the mucus plug look like?

I am 35 weeks pregnant and throughout my pregnancy I have had normal discharge but, in the past few days I have been getting clumps of what look like a clear/whitish snot (sorry for the grossness). Could this be my mucus plug?

happymom2b1o

Asked by happymom2b1o at 8:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Sounds like it...thick snotty clumps. Sometimes a red tinge through it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Sounds like it. Some women have it come out all in one go, some have it bit by bit. Mine was bit by bit. I thought it looked like my vagina sneezed.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• that sounds like discharge to me. the mucus plug is the most disgusting thing you will ever see. it is pretty much indestructable and usually a greenish-gray color with blood in it. it looks like something from a sci-fi movie lol. but even if you do lose part of your mucus plug it will grow back so nothing to worry about really. mine always came out after i had the baby (i had mine by c-section)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• easiest way for me to describe it is if you've ever had a sinus infection and blown a big glob of snot out that had the streaks of red in it. although it's does not always have the red.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Not sure... you know how your discharge has clumps and is stretchy and sticky when your ovulating? It's like a big clump of that. The one that came out of me was noticeably different and larger than the rest of my discharge.
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 8:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• mine is a noticeable change from my normal discharge and is stringy and thick
    happymom2b1o

Comment by happymom2b1o (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I have seen 2 mucus plugs. Mine and my friends. Hers looked like stringy snot and is had blood tinged through it. Mine looked like globs of clear jello :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Sounds like your mucus plug.. But no reason to panic.. That doesn't mean that you are going to go into labor now.. Your mucus plug can grow back.. I lost my mucus plug about a month before I delivered..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• The only mucus plug I saw was with my first and once I saw it, I knew EXACTLY what it was.LOL! I was 37 weeks and it was the night before my inductiong (I had high blood pressure). It seriously did look like my vagina sneezed... it was super gross! With my second I went in to be checked at about 39 weeks and my dr told me I had already lost it, which I was completely surprised because I never saw "it." She said it can come out in peices and can even grow back, so no worries.

It also may just be because of your hormones changing. I know that when women ovulate their discharge gets to be thick and very elastic, which is probably due from the shift of hormones. I got it really bad throughout my whole fourth pregnancy (it was almost like the sticky stuff on the back of credit cards!!!) and I asked my dr about it and he said it is 100% normal.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 12:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Well mine never had blood in it or looked green. It was definitely noticeable though. Mine kept coming out here and there for about 2 weeks before I went into labor. You know the goop credit card companies use to affix the cards to paper? Think that consistency.
    BeachGal121

Answer by BeachGal121 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2010