Has anyones cat had an absess pop?

My cat got into a huge fight n had one absess n that one popped on it own. We never noticed any blood or anything.

And he has been acting strange for about 4 or 5 days. We have no money to take him to the vet cause hubs was off work for over 2mths n just got back to working n this will be his second full week.

So the question I have is we think he had another absess pop. When I noticed he wasnt acting right I called human society n the lady there told me that it was either more infection or that he might have feline luekemia.

So today he was getting up n moving around more so I was happy. Then I noticed there was wetness on his fur in same spot from b4 so I got a paper towel n wiped it n it was blood. So I got online n it said that if it is an absess to put peroxide on it. It said to bandage but I dont know what to use.

Theres an open wound! can you help. Is there more I can do for him so it doesnt get worse. TNX

mom2wy

Asked by mom2wy at 8:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Pets

• Kitty needs to go to the VET ASAP. even if you have to make payments. Cat mouths are notorious for being very bacteria filled. My kitty has twice now had to have major surgery because of cat bits/absesses. Please take kitty to the vet. Those absesses are very very VERY painful
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• The cat should be an inside only cat so he doesn't have this happen again. I don't know of an official cure, but I wonder if some neosporin would help since you can't take him to the vet.

Answer by Bmat at 8:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• well you can do hot compresses to make sure the abcess is completely drained and then just clean it with peroxide. it would be good for him to have some antibiotics too, but keeping it clean is good for now. make sure the fur doesn't get all matted on there (the hot compresses will clean it and also the peroxide). i had a cat that had a huge abcess on her head and we took her to the vet who lanced it and this is what we did afterward, but she had antibiotics too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• I know this will be hard to do but there is usually a vet you can take your cat to and give them your kitty and they will fix your cat and give the cat to the Humane Society. It sounds like your cat needs antibiotics. It would probably cost $100 or more to go to the vet and get antibiotics. That is if all the cat needs is an exam and cheap drugs.

I stepped on my Chihuahua last week and was afraid I broke his leg. It cost $320 for the vet, x-rays, and pain meds. That was all my savings and I have had to go without much food the last few days. Vets are crazy expensive!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Well we can get him in on tuesday when hubs gets his first two wk check we just need to know what we can do for him till then. I wonder if I can just get a general antibiotic for him or are they pretty expensive? I called and none of the vets in the area will do a payment deal but one would do a credit card type thing but we dont qualify for that! I dont want to give him away cause my kids are so close to him and they are already being so good with him and want to check on him like every 5min. so I know it would be hard. But of course even worse if he died! He has not been going outside since we noticed he was acting strange!
    mom2wy

Comment by mom2wy (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Get him there immediately. I lost a cat to an infected absess. It was heartbreaking, I loved him so much, he was one of thoses really special cats. The infection went into his lungs and they couldn't save him. He really needs to be treated, SOMEONE will work out a payment plan, but do not wait, get him to an animal hospital tonight, if you absolutely can't do that, be at the vet first thing.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• i don't really think you can buy antibiotics otc, but they are not really that expensive.... you could always ask the places that you called how much it will cost for the exam and the meds. since you already know the problem they shouldn't have to do any tests, etc. but i really think if you keep it clean he'll be ok until tues. gl.... i hope that he will be fine after it's all said and done
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Thanks princessbeth I am jsut so worried!
    mom2wy

Comment by mom2wy (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010