Does stopping Singulair cause behavior changes?

My 5 and 3 yr old stopped and now seem more emoyional--cry easily when they didn't before. Is it the meds or summer boredom

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Health

• If you stop any medication that's taken on a regular basis instead of weaning off of it there will be emotional and behavioral changes.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 9:11 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• You should talk to your doctor. Many meds you need to wean down from.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 9:12 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• My son and I both take Singulair and neither of us have behavior problems from not taking it. We take it on an as needed basis too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Were they on it for quite awhile? I would imagine that if they were on it for an extended amount of time that there could be. My son was just on it for about 2 weeks (he takes it usually as needed, not everyday) and he was fine. He is three.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Singulair works for asthma and allergies. If they have stopped taking it they may be sleeping less well or having problems with breathing or allergies and of course these things can make anyone have emotional changes. A child with asthma shouldn't stop taking Singulair without starting another asthma med, usually a twice daily steroid inhaler.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2010