low grade fever...what to do about diet?

my son has had a low grade fever all day and although it has gone down it's still a fever. I will call his dr. tomorrow if he hasnt improved, but till then I have some questions! He has eaten very little today and has been refusng to drink anything (I continued to offer).What are some good foods to offer with his ailments? He hasnt been throwing up, he just has a fever and has been resting all day...could it be the flu? He's 26 months old and this is the first time in a long time he's been sick like this.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Keep him well hydrated and don't let him get overheated.

Bodies develop fevers to fight infections; as long as he is comfortable and not lethargic, there is no reason to treat the fever.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• ice pops.... applesauce.... my kids always love the pedisure 'milkshakes' when they are sick and don't want to eat much.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Nothing. If my son wants to eat when he has a fever, I feed him. Especially if it is only a low grade fever. The only thing I do differently is push more fluids so he stays hydrated.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Yes fluids to keep him hydrated and bring the fever down. What are his comfort foods? I offer those.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:27 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• is it even worth calling the dr. tomorrow? I can already predict she will offer a fever reducer medicine and thats it, and it isnt all that high. But I just HATE seeing him like this! he doesnt want to eat or drink anything, he jus wants to rest. That's a great thing, that he's resting because he's very active, but I want to do more :(
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Our pediatrician told me to call him if the temperature got over 100 degrees. Anything less, then give tylenol. Try to get liquids (AND PLENTY OF THEM) down. Don;t worry about loss of appetite. He'll eat when he gets hungry. FLUIDS though are important!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 3:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2010