A question for the vegetarians out there...

I'm trying to go vegetarian. I don't really like meat a whole lot, my problem is though, that I was raised eating beef or chicken for every meal. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to prepare so that we are getting all of the protein, iron, and b vitamins that we require. Meat is such a convenient source of those. Can any you give me some ideas? Maybe a menu of what you would prepare in your home? Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• About the soy; there is good soy (like organic tofu or edamame) and bad soy (like protein supplements). The average meat eater eats WAY more soy (from animal feed) than the average vegetarian. Before Asian cultures westernized their diets, they were incredibly healthy (with lots of tofu and edamame); send me a message if you would like a couple of articles on this topic.
    The best source of B vitamins is nutritional yeast
    Most Americans eat way too much protein; if your meals are based on whole grains and legumes and a good variety of vegetables, you will get more than enough protein and iron.

I have a ton of recipes that are healthy, tasty, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

There is wonderful nutritional information here: http://vegkitchen.com/vegetarian-tips.htm

Answer by rkoloms at 5:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• Tofu, lots of beans . pnut butter
    faithandaddysma

Answer by faithandaddysma at 9:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• what kind of vegetarian are you becoming (i'm assuming you're not going vegan)? some just cut out red meat, some cut out chicken too, but you can still eat fish (unless you don't like it lol). don't forget tofu and beans are good sources of protien and go to a health food supermarket to find all the neat vegetarian and vegan products out there.... you will be suprised lmao
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Soy is poison. It is horrible for your health.

You can get plenty of protein without trying hard. Just eat many whole foods and cook from fresh. No boxes or cans of food.

Bean burritos, lentil sloppy joes, sprout sandwiches, roasted veggie lasagna, quinoa, peas, amaranth, brown rice,
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 AM on Jul. 1, 2010

• I take an iron supplement.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2010